Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Well...now I almost regret posting my own update! I took this around 2 pm yesterday...amongst the confluence of people in this heat.
20230803_144518.jpg
20230803_144509.jpg
20230803_144515.jpg
20230803_144442.jpg
20230803_144431.jpg
20230803_144428.jpg
20230803_144437.jpg
20230803_144410.jpg
20230803_144407.jpg
20230803_144411.jpg

Wednesday, August 2nd. I will note, unrelated to CIBC Square, that one of the asphalt patches in the crosswalk at Scott Street and The Esplanade (bottom right of second picture) has a particularly bad depression of about 2 inches, and very nearly tripped an individual walking ahead of me. I hope that they patch that up a bit better, definitely would've caught me if not for seeing the person ahead!

DSC_0334_PC.jpg

DSC_0335_PC.jpg

DSC_0341_PC.jpg

DSC_0343_PC.jpg

DSC_0348_PC.jpg

Wednesday, August 2nd. I will note, unrelated to CIBC Square, that one of the asphalt patches in the crosswalk at Scott Street and The Esplanade (bottom right of second picture) has a particularly bad depression of about 2 inches, and very nearly tripped an individual walking ahead of me. I hope that they patch that up a bit better, definitely would've caught me if not for seeing the person ahead!
1691187474597.png

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but heard that the park won’t fully open until CSN’s exterior is fully complete. Has to do with liability and potential for falling debris.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but heard that the park won’t fully open until CSN’s exterior is fully complete. Has to do with liability and potential for falling debris.
This was noted before and seems sensible to me. Things fall and that's why construction workers wear hard hats.

Good shot but must say that I am surprised at how long it is taking to get the east side moving upwards!
Even the steel for the tower looks to have stalled until they can finish the lobby.

The core is the only thing not constrained by ground level construction and it has been moving at a decent pace. They've added about 3 floors in the past month.

Ahh gotta love employers who call back their employees for no reason but to justify lease payments and for bosses to watch their employees because they have nothing better to do and it makes them feel like big shots again. Despite countless studies showing productivity increases with hybrid work. But I digress, those living in the dinosaur age will never learn.

On a side note, i know it's been discussed but I cant help but think the Union Station Bus Terminal has been underbuilt every time I walk by the terminal under Phase 1. While it's true GO Expansion will reduce GO Bus needs, i've been seeing buses laying over all around downtown because there's simply a lack of bus lay-by space. Literally Queen's Quay, Bay St, York St, heck even Lake Shore Blvd E are always parked up with buses. And it's not like we're seeing less service providers who want to utilize the bus terminal with new services either.
TOK Coach Lines (which admittedly only runs 12 buses a week, 6 in, 6 out, half to/from Haliburton, half to/from Southampton and points in between) moved out of the Union Bus Terminal owing to the unpredictability of traffic in Toronto and difficulty in maintaining schedules because of it. They now pick up and drop off from VMC as their main Toronto station (with Pearson being the other main stop on the Southampton route).

Then you get Flixbus who are running discount trips to New York, Ottawa, Montreal, London, Detroit, etc. You may see their buses on the street because even though they are going downtown, they don't want to pay the fee to use the terminal.

Finally, as the frequency of the GO train network increases to 2-way all-day service on most lines, it will make more sense for coach lines that don't have to come into town to terminate at suburban GO stations and/or subway stations like Highway 407 station which is built for tons of buses that haven't arrived yet.

For those reasons — downtown traffic making schedules difficult to maintain, discount operators not wanting to pay the fee, improved GO train service making busing downtown runs less necessary — I'm not convinced that the Union GO Bus Terminal is underbuilt.

Last edited:

Back