Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Plenty of trucks removing soil…

7732F904-FEEF-4B9F-832E-7F5A746D5226.jpeg

E2177EB5-FD5C-4C6F-8E13-171DCA31A9C4.jpeg

F7623B31-EEA2-4B60-AE63-CF83FDE85D5F.jpeg

E8C1AA56-BB95-411C-8DBE-139705C70DDB.jpeg

I’m curious to know where the soil goes from this project. Do ‘they’ still dump soil out on the Leslie Spit?
No, they are no longer accepting fill from excavations at the spit. According to Ports Toronto, only dredged materials (from places like the Keating Channel) are being accepted now, for which they believe they have about 30 or so years worth of remaining capacity at current dredging rates.

I am under the impression that there are some former quarries in the outer GTA that are accepting the excavate now, but not 100% on that. There was a controversial case of a field in North Pickering where excavate was being mounded up until the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority got wind of it and put a stop to it. Others must know more (or better)!

No, they are no longer accepting fill from excavations at the spit. According to Ports Toronto, only dredged materials (from places like the Keating Channel) are being accepted now, for which they believe they have about 30 or so years worth of remaining capacity at current dredging rates.

I am under the impression that there are some former quarries in the outer GTA that are accepting the excavate now, but not 100% on that. There was a controversial case of a field in North Pickering where excavate was being mounded up until the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority got wind of it and put a stop to it. Others must know more (or better)!

I don't have a list of specific sites at the ready.........but I can point people to the process for dealing with 'excess soil' as it is termed in the regulations.

Ontario adopted a new regulation in 2019, with phased-in changes mostly concluding just this past January as I recall........

This is a good summary here:

Excerpt from the above:

1646926750021.png

Last edited:

There's something similar going on just outside of cambridge near where I live. A farmer is mounding fill on his fields, at this point it's taller than any of the natural topography nearby, and the field backs on to some rural residential properties such that their lots are almost completely shadowed.

How much of the fill is from the GTA vs locally I'm not entirely sure, but I am certainly dubious about the legality of the operation.

The CIBC logos on the previous page are pretty underwhelming. I expected something as big as the TELUS sign.
Personally I prefer less obnoxious corporate branding. These are a huge improvement over the awful renderings of how the old CIBC logo would look on these towers.

Personally I prefer less obnoxious corporate branding. These are a huge improvement over the awful renderings of how the old CIBC logo would look on these towers.
I was actually expecting only the diamond logo, which I think would have looked good large and centred on the taller tower in the big 'V' up there.

I was actually expecting only the diamond logo, which I think would have looked good large and centred on the taller tower in the big 'V' up there.
Tbh, so was I, but thinking about it, I think the diamond icon isn't yet associated with CIBC enough for them to use it without the brand name. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move to just the icon though, once it becomes a known part of their brand. It feels like they're doing this brand transition very slowly and cautiously.

Tbh, so was I, but thinking about it, I think the diamond icon isn't yet associated with CIBC enough for them to use it without the brand name. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move to just the icon though, once it becomes a known part of their brand. It feels like they're doing this brand transition very slowly and cautiously.
Well sure, once they've merged with Renault.

Back