Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Actually, I don't consider this to be flying. For steel construction, you'd think it'd be gong up more quickly, about two floors every week, and it has not even added a floor a week over the course of your (fantastic!!!) images.

I expected some slow downs with the two core cut-backs. Also what can't be seen in my West Elevations is the amount of work going into the podium/bus terminal on the east side. So maybe not vertically flying, as you mentioned, but a lot going on all the time nonetheless!

View attachment 192508
Toronto's construction boom from another perspective (data source: skyscrapercenter, selected cities)
To me, New York is the center of the universe no doubt, Hong Kong represents the past, Asia represents now, Toronto is the future.

I also enjoy going through http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/cities and comparing Toronto with other cities.

The chart posted above that lists the number of 150M+ buildings under construction seems to be missing some data points. This info is from the same site. The following cities were not on the chart above:

Mumbai 50
Shenyang 32
Wuhan 29
GaungZhou 26
Chongqing 23
Nanning 22
Kuala Lumpur 21

My guess is development timeframes are shorter in Asia because there would be fewer regulations. The result is fewer buildings would be in the proposal phase in other cities when compared with Toronto. Toronto is amazing in building out our skyline. Bottom line, Asia as led by China, is dominating skyscraper development and continues to represent the future.

Last edited:
there are a lot of 150m builidngs U/C in Mumbai but many of them are onhold. my freind's brother is a Civil engineer in PCL in Mumbai and he was telling me that alot of projects are OnHold from years and months.

I think it's officially joined the skyline, now that it's visible from the islands

Indeed it has, although still a stump from some angles

P1000563.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
putting up flags at telecommunication masts or antennas can disrupt the transmition.

A nylon flag won't do much to block the 15kW transmissions from there, however the person putting the flag on the live antenna may find themselves with a few side-effects a couple days later (lightly cooked body parts); their SAR (specific absorption rate) will be about 20x what's considered safe.

It's relatively low power so you can stand on the roof safely all day but anyone climbing the antenna structure is going to have issues.

A nylon flag won't do much to block the 15kW transmissions from there, however the person putting the flag on the live antenna may find themselves with a few side-effects a couple days later (lightly cooked body parts); their SAR (specific absorption rate) will be about 20x what's considered safe.

It's relatively low power so you can stand on the roof safely all day but anyone climbing the antenna structure is going to have issues.

They could just use whatever procedure they use when a maintenance worker has to do his job. I assume it's shutting off the antennas temporarily in the wee hours of the morning.

Actually, I don't consider this to be flying. For steel construction, you'd think it'd be gong up more quickly, about two floors every week, and it has not even added a floor a week over the course of your (fantastic!!!) images.

The scope of this project is 3x The One which started at the same exact time...where is that at? They still can't figure out the excavated grade which they've changed no less than 10 times. The fact is...this is flying and is the best run project in the city at the moment....of course The Well is also right there.

A Piddly Diddly Work Week, Friday

Westside; lots of piddly diddly work happening around the site, it seems like slow progress but the work seems to be time-consuming and requires the exacting "measure twice cut once" process

Upper

Middle

Lower

Eastside

Continued work along the eastern wall, you may notice a surveyor taking measurements towards the centre left of this photo. There has been a lot of this measurement work during the week which has caused my 'piddly diddly' comments earlier

Continued work on the Southwest retail area, with final steel, supports being added

Glass wrapping around from the south face to the east face terminating with a transition from the main building to the smaller eastern building, you may notice some fireproofing has been sprayed onto the steel beams forming the trusses that will support the eastern building

A closer look at the spider crane that is used to assemble the exterior glass. It moves around like a spider but turns into 'Optimus Prime the Transformer' and can be seen resting as a rectangular box when not in use

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpeg
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 461

Back