Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
They've also moved some of their offices closer to the yard(Willowbrook) into 335 Judson.

I'm assuming you were being sarcastic, but in case you weren't its not a matter of if but rather when. All day service on the Barrie and Stouffville lines will be up and running by 2013 and the Georgetown line will follow in 2015 once construction on the ARL is finished.

I'm just pessimistic given the provincial budget situation, but you're right, it's more a question of "when," since it has to happen eventually. I always take the dates with a grain of salt though. That being said, if Stouffville really does get all-day service by the end of next year, I will do a happy dance!

I'm just pessimistic given the provincial budget situation, but you're right, it's more a question of "when," since it has to happen eventually. I always take the dates with a grain of salt though. That being said, if Stouffville really does get all-day service by the end of next year, I will do a happy dance!

I think it's still very much a question of "if" for the Milton line since it's owned by CP. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though.

It's possible the office tower would be built above the bus terminal, but in many ways I think it would be harder to lease the space above a coach terminal due to the stigma of such terminals. Maybe being so close to the ACC and Union would make this a moot point though.

I cant see an office tower built on top of a major bus depot - How would that work? there would be a stigma for sure but also access for buses, people etc how can this work together? I think it is more likely that it would end up being a stand alone bus depot and the city would lose a potentially great office site.

^^^^ OMG, AKS, please don't say that. I have hopes that this site will eventually be something rather different just because it's a Quebec-based company that will control the final product (building). But you're right, I shouldn't hope for too much. I can just see the following happening: When a tower is announced for this site five or so years from now, it'll be a 30 storey grey glass tower box. There will be no unique design elements, it will lose its height potential (40+ storeys) due to lack of demand or city planning restrictions, and for some G*d forsaken reason, grey will the color chosen for the glass. It'll end up looking like the other 6-odd south core office boxes. Perhaps south core will be the epitome of Torontoization (boxy similar-in-height greyish or greenish office towers and several sets of twin residential towers). :p

I just read the updated page for the site and I guess NYC failed LOL. But it's not that they don't have tenants I think. The failure was in getting funding to build the tower. Oh and seems their final design was a grey glass box too :p

^^^^ OMG, AKS, please don't say that. I have hopes that this site will eventually be something rather different just because it's a Quebec-based company that will control the final product (building). But you're right, I shouldn't hope for too much. I can just see the following happening: When a tower is announced for this site five or so years from now, it'll be a 30 storey grey glass tower box. There will be no unique design elements, it will lose its height potential (40+ storeys) due to lack of demand or city planning restrictions, and for some G*d forsaken reason, grey will the color chosen for the glass. It'll end up looking like the other 6-odd south core office boxes. Perhaps south core will be the epitome of Torontoization (boxy similar-in-height greyish or greenish office towers and several sets of twin residential towers). :p

Hahaha:D,....Throw a bunch of fancy (non-box) skyscrapers at 45 Bay, 60 Harboour/30 Bay, Toronto Star lands, and overtop the Westin Convention Centre,
and see how quickly everyone forgets about the existing mediocre Southcore architecture.

I just read the updated page for the site and I guess NYC failed LOL. But it's not that they don't have tenants I think. The failure was in getting funding to build the tower. Oh and seems their final design was a grey glass box too :p

The grey glass box society is taking over the world.

I don't buy the stigma thing either. Yes, the entry area to the bus garage needs to be designed so that pedestrians are not particularly inconvenienced, but mitigate that meeting properly and everything's fine. It works in Montreal as per above, is in the works at San Francisco's TransBay Terminal, and there should be a way to make it work here too.

Toronto's Union Station and the Coach Terminal at Bay-Elizabeth don't have anywhere near the stigma that the Port Authority Bus Terminal has and they were planning to build a 40+ storey office tower above there. I think it would be much better at 45 Bay but I worry what would happen to the Toronto Coach Terminal if abandoned.

I know a guy who operates an IT Call Centre at 600 Bay Street (old building just south the Terminal). He said that throughout these past few years, the owner has been very reluctant to do any major renovations to the building, despite it being in very poor condition. He's aware that the Terminal will be moved to the Union Station area. Also mentions that owner of 600 Bay is probably looking forward to sell the property and incorporate with any redevelopment plans for the Terminal. The combined properties will offer a rather large potential floor plate, although height would be limited. My guess would be 30-40 storeys, with the historic facade preserved.

Last edited:
It's pretty close to City Hall so I don't think they'd get that kind of height.

Back