Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
CIBC ... as well as other banks I assume have massive back up offices in Vaughn that just sit empty until needed (ie for the g20, or when a tech team is impacted by a weekend building maintenance).

Yes....but those backup locations have limits.

Also if your job is deemed critical they make sure you can work from home if needed as well. Work from home is something they are pushing hard.. and I suspect this building is going to have many work from home floor plates like 18 york.... where it's just one long row of desks with side by side seating that you have to reserve your seat if you have to come into the office for a meeting. If you need to come with no desks available your out of luck. Prolly why CIBC likes that one acre park.

If they were moving heavily to a work from home plan....they would not be signing a lease for 1.75MM s.f. to house a whopping 15,000 employees.

All companies (not just banks) have those issues/plans.....yet no one yet has consolidated to this level........that is all I am saying.

Part of the move downtown is that many businesses are finding that their top prospects and most valuable workers now typically want to work downtown. If they don't provide jobs there, they have a harder time attracting and keeping the employees they want.

Ding ding ding.. Unless you live near your suburban office, chances are it's far easier to get downtown for you than to get to another suburb.

I wouldn't work anywhere else except the airport corporate centre and downtown. That's the only easily reachable part of the city via car for me.

Part of the move downtown is that many businesses are finding that their top prospects and most valuable workers now typically want to work downtown. If they don't provide jobs there, they have a harder time attracting and keeping the employees they want.

very true for high profile high margin employees. call centre employees and data entry folk don't need (and I would suggest many would not want) to be downtown for work.

My business unit at BMO (back when I worked there) was evenly split between BMTT and FCP, which was a huge pain in the neck and accounted for a lot of taxi fares.

It does happen. I know quite a few people that travel back and forth between locations for various banks. I also know of groups that have been shifted around like dominoes several times a year between buildings to squeeze in more heads within existing leases. It sucks but, I don't think it's enough to convince people to go to or, go back to CIBC. I hope it pays off for them as I'd love to see the other banks follow suit. CIBC's problems aren't a workplace one though.

First Canadian Place is not called BMO Tower because there is already a building called BMO Tower. 55 Bloor is called BMO Tower, Toronto (BMTT) while there is another building in Montreal called BMO Tower, Montreal (BMTM).

At the time First Canadian Place was built, BMO's slogan was "The First Canadian Bank".
That's many years before they adopted the "BMO" pseudo-acronym.
So the name of the tower fit exactly with the marketing of the day.
MasterCard-1.jpg
http://colnect.com/en/bank_cards/bank_card/8899-MasterCard_1-Bank_of_Montreal-Canada

The CIBC logo does look dated.
Maybe they'll have a new one by the time this is built?

what a wonderful news. I love both of the towers, the only problem is they should have used darker cladding like the bow in Calgary or two toned cladding.

I kinda see what you're saying. For me I'd like to see the diagonal beams thicker, and more contrasting. Maybe something like the Bow, but black beams instead to match the lighter glass.

The CIBC logo does look dated.
Maybe they'll have a new one by the time this is built?

There is a bit of a Coffee Time resemblance with the logo and colours. But I think it looks good.

They couldn't come up with a charismatic leader so the movement petered out and the symbol was abandoned. But we should keep our hands on our wallets just the same.

I do agree the old symbol is much more attractive. But it does look very ominous (which is why I dig it) I feel like it would give off bad juju though.

The CIBC logo on top of these buildings ruins the diamond effect that cascades upwards to the top. Stunting the look of the building. Does the logo really have to be that large?

Back