Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Isn't there supposed to be a new bus terminal in this project to replace the aging one at Dundas? There was no word on that. Hopefully it didn't fall through.

See my posts above - it is still in the plans, and there was evidence of recent work done on it from the submitted documents.

AoD

I think the logo was just tacked on by the marketing department last minute. Im sure we'll see it refined more when actually going up. Maybe even something like they had on Commerce Court West.

Last edited by a moderator:
See my posts above - it is still in the plans, and there was evidence of recent work done on it from the submitted documents.

AoD

Yep. You have to remember that Metrolinx's bus needs will be much lower in the coming years as they shift off peak services to trains with their RER program. That will open the terminal up for more interregional services.
Can someone pleas remind me, is a roughed-in East Bayfront LRT platform space still part of this project?

It is.

The GO bus terminal is why the second tower is not proceeding until the first one is done: once the new one opens in tower one, the existing one can close and work on tower two can go ahead.

The reason that no-one is hearing about the bus terminal today is that this is simply CIBC's day to get a huge PR splash out of the announcement. Metrolinx's day will come soon enough.

In regards to the question re the East Bayfront LRT platform, while also confirming that, I will add that a final decision on how to use that space has not been made yet, as question remain as to how the East Bayfront line will connect: will it be via a T-junction at Bay and Queens Quay? Or will it be via a new tunnel under Yonge or even further east, connected up here by the north Bay Park tower. There's no public word yet on whether the extra platform space beside the south tower will be enough to handle passenger loads and LRT stopping/storage space.

This is how you make a splash! Good for CIBC. I bet RBC is feeling pretty underwhelmed now in their boring glass HQ.
At least RBC still has Royal Bank Plaza to boast about, if not Waterpark Place as an architectural marvel. (But yeah, here's hoping all banks step up their game again with any future buildings downtown.)

I wouldn't mind that, though there isn't any other project on the books (other than Oxford Place, perhaps) that would give 1.75M sq. ft. in space, should they go for the same centripetal model.

AoD
I've been thinking about that.... No matter the site or developer, say TD approached CF about 16 York and said "ya know what, I'm gonna stick my dick up in the air like my competition and consolidate. I need 2.3MM sqf" - that tower would rapidly evolve into something very tall and eye catching.

The market dictates what goes up. Bay Park Centre was always more of a HQ type development and it certainly lived up to that.

(I still can't believe a big 5 just signed a 1.7mm sqf new flashy HQ. Never thought I'd see the day)

At least RBC still has Royal Bank Plaza to boast about, if not Waterpark Place as an architectural marvel. (But yeah, here's hoping all banks step up their game again with any future buildings downtown.)

They are still an old boy's club. If this starts a new dick measuring wave we will see quite the flashy building boom in our future! :)

Canadian Imperial Bay of Commerce

Canadian Imperial Bus Bay of Commerce, perhaps.

I've been thinking about that.... No matter the site or developer, say TD approached CF about 16 York and said "ya know what, I'm gonna stick my dick up in the air like my competition and consolidate. I need 2.3MM sqf" - that tower would rapidly evolve into something very tall and eye catching.

The market dictates what goes up. Bay Park Centre was always more of a HQ type development and it certainly lived up to that.

(I still can't believe a big 5 just signed a 1.7mm sqf new flashy HQ. Never thought I'd see the day)

Well, RBC certainly look liked the cheapskates of this cycle, by the quality of their new building.

AoD

Back