Toronto Church of Scientology | ?m | 8s

My dream is to see Brothers rise again at that corner storefront.

How the city hasn’t claimed it for property tax arrears, I don’t know. The organization is hard up for cash, yet owns prime real estate in every major city. Enough bad faith stalling. It’s been a decade now.

Pun intended?

AoD

Kinda hoping the bump was about the current owners finally relinquishing the building to better stewards, to put it politely...

...sadly this was not the case. I guess better luck next time. /sigh

I can't find photos of the interior of this place, but I'm convinced a scene in a popular movie from 20+ years ago was shot inside. Can anyone help?

There is an interior shot from NOW of the front counter. The back is considerably more mysterious.

AoD

Last edited:
Did they even serve rice pudding? Never had it there - plenty of breakfasts and corned beef on Rye though.

AoD
Unfortunately I never had the pleasure. Fran's was my go to back in those days. All I know of Brother's is the video that I posted, though I believe Glen as he's a local.

Oh man, I remember brothers. I used to go with a couple of female high school friends and they introduced me to asking for extra mayo with a club sandwich. Brothers had squeeze bottles that they’d bring to the table. Probably shaved 15 years off my life due to that discovery. And their pickles were awesome. Not the females, but the diner’s pickles.

Oh man, I remember brothers. I used to go with a couple of female high school friends and they introduced me to asking for extra mayo with a club sandwich. Brothers had squeeze bottles that they’d bring to the table. Probably shaved 15 years off my life due to that discovery. And their pickles were awesome. Not the females, but the diner’s pickles.

Saturday mornings - either Brothers (full breakfast with a tiny glass of juice) or La Maison du Crossaint at Yonge + Charles with a big bowl of Cafe au lait.

AoD

Looking at this building while watching the Trans March, it's such a shame that the city can't do something about it.
Scientology is a problem along here, but the whole stretch south of Bloor to around Dundonald is in a sorry state. So many shops are closed, boarded or gated and new developments have most of their commercial space empty, and still available to lease. Part of it are 3 condo highrise developments that I presume have booted commercial tenants out pending demolition & construction.

Dialing it back here, religious institutions should be held responsible for making sure their buildings are kept in good order and look presentable to the public. If they run out of the funds and means to do or are having a hard time in keeping up with the overhead, they then should pass it on (ie. sell) to those that can, IMO. Eyesores should be considered a sin.

Dialing it back here, religious institutions should be held responsible for making sure their buildings are kept in good order and look presentable to the public. If they run out of the funds and means to do or are having a hard time in keeping up with the overhead, they then should pass it on (ie. sell) to those that can, IMO. Eyesores should be considered a sin.
In the rational world Scientology is NOT a religion, it's a cult but I do agree with your point. However, as far as I know, all property owners are responsible for maintaining their property to City standards and can be ticketed if there are deficiencies which, if not repaired, will be fixed by the City and charged back to the Owner through the property tax. If taxes are not paid the property can then be sold for taxes.

Back