Mississauga Chicago Condos | ?m | 36s | Daniels | Kirkor

you know what, even if MCC does not turn into a nice urban area, it will still be a magnate for people, especially once the two sisters rise!!!

Daily Commercial News

Condo project brings Chicago to Mississauga, Ontario
October 2, 2009

130.jpg

LENSCAPE INC.

Work continues on the Chicago condominium project in Mississauga, Ont. Daniels Corporation is owner/general contractor of the 36-storey, 455-unit project with 32 townhouses.

Completion has been scheduled for 2010.

The work also includes two levels of underground parking, a fitness studio, dining area and lounge spaces. The Chicago project was designed by Kirkor Architects and Planners.

Consultants are Sigmund Soudack & Associates Inc. (structural) and United Engineering Ltd. (mechanical/ electrical).

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35559

:confused: Hideous mish-mash? I kinda like the way it looks. It has red brick at the bottom, strangely not seen on so many condo projects although it is a widely used (otherwise) native Ontario building material. The design of this building is respectful of the building immediately to its south, reflecting and complementing it without just aping it. And I like the presence of the townhouses, again blending with the character of the City Centre as it is developing into a mixture of high-rise and low-rise forms. This building won't be spectacular, we'll leave that to Marilyn, but it will be a decent addition to the district, fitting in nicely.

:confused: Hideous mish-mash? I kinda like the way it looks. It has red brick at the bottom, strangely not seen on so many condo projects although it is a widely used (otherwise) native Ontario building material. The design of this building is respectful of the building immediately to its south, reflecting and complementing it without just aping it. And I like the presence of the townhouses, again blending with the character of the City Centre as it is developing into a mixture of high-rise and low-rise forms. This building won't be spectacular, we'll leave that to Marilyn, but it will be a decent addition to the district, fitting in nicely.
I kind of agree with ganjavih.

The podium on its own I like, actually. I'd prefer better integration of retail at street level, but I think it looks fine until the 7th floor. It's the transition in styles with those arches that starts to look a little confused, but repeating at the top of the building with at least somehow tie it together, but still be a bit forced. Once the cladding on the upper floors go in it won't look as bad, but the arches are a 'stretch' no matter what.

Where it becomes a mish-mash is h townhouses and the roof lines. If the podium and tower have flat roofs accentuated by arches, the townhouses should follow suit. There are A LOT of ways the them could have been tied together but the "suburban" roof lines are incongruous with the Chicago highrise. Reminds me of those grossly out-of-place townhouses in uptown Waterloo.

Besides - how does placing 3 storey townhomes among 30~40 foot towers make sense? More podium-styled structures would have been far better IMO, - at One Park across the street, too. Wait til towers start going into the east side of these blocks and these townhomes will be in a canyon. It's one thing if they were there first and you had to build around them... but this?

Last edited:
Ya it makes no sense for townhomes there at all. Should be some mid rise structures around 6-7 storeys tall and maybe a few 3 storeys, but not townhomes. Especially not that many...

Marko and Kristopher, I'll agree to some extent. I like the mix, as I said, but I think there is certainly room for an even wider mix. Some mid-rise buildings would be nice as well, and I hope some will be built. Plans had called for some along the west edge of the existing Square One parking lot (facing Duke of York Blvd.)

Regarding the peaked roofs on the townhouses, I'm not an architect and am not sure whether flat roofs can easily be put on three-storey buildings of wooden construction. Once you get above four storeys, you can't use wood as your basic construction material, and flat roofs on masonry construction therefore become a more feasible option. But in any case I don't see peaked roofs as a design flaw. Some variety is good.

Marko and Kristopher, I'll agree to some extent. I like the mix, as I said, but I think there is certainly room for an even wider mix. Some mid-rise buildings would be nice as well, and I hope some will be built. Plans had called for some along the west edge of the existing Square One parking lot (facing Duke of York Blvd.)

I agree. I love the mix of housing types that can be found in MCC. It gives people more choice. It will also mean more families choosing MCC as a place to live.

Chicago almost topped out....pic by Jasonzed at SSC...

20091017091.jpg

Chicago, from Rathburn Rd. looking east.....pic by Jasonzed at SSC...

20091025001.jpg

Nov 1

It is 1pm, not night time
IMG_nov-01-09-0041.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0042.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0065.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0066.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0079.jpg

Those townhouses are the largest to date for this area.
IMG_nov-01-09-0094.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0095.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0096.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0097.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0098.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0099.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0100.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0101.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0102.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0103.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0104.jpg

IMG_nov-01-09-0136.jpg