Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

According to 680 news: "The national hotel chain says the move is a strategic decision because the owners of the Delta Chelsea, Great Eagle Holding Ltd. has said it will not renovate the property in line with the company’s new brand standards."

I guess no renovations?

The Langham Toronto will be in the, uh, less architecturally/historically significant Chelsea Hotel. Let's hope they can spiff it up and give it some class.

To repeat: Langham Style!

psy_icon_gangman_style_by_topomogura15-d5fx45l.gif

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/20/delta-chelsea/

Delta Chelsea no more: Delta chain removes name from city’s largest hotel

Chris Riddell, National Post Staff | Dec 20, 2012 12:37 AM ET

After a 37-year association, Delta Hotels and Resorts is taking its name off the city’s largest hotel, in pursuit of four-star status elsewhere.

The decision to remove the Delta brand from the Delta Chelsea Hotel as of July 1, 2013, was described by company officials as necessary to renovate and update all of its properties to a more modernized image.

The 1,590-room hotel at Gerrard and Yonge streets is undergoing some renovations of its own, such as upgrades to the corridors and select guest rooms.

But those changes aren’t enough to meet the requirements of Delta’s remodelling. Once Delta leaves next summer, management of the hotel will go to Langham Hospitality Group, a subsidiary of property owners Great Eagle Holdings Ltd.

Can't see a company that operates hotels getting into the condo business. They would sell now if that was the case.

So these guys are willing to take and operate it as is:confused:...my guess is that in 5 years they will have it razed for a new hotel-condo development

they have owned it for about 15 years...this is not them "taking" anything.....more of an internalization of management from a third party contract with Delta.

Then again, if it sticks w/the name "Chelsea", it might look like *this* post-renovations

250px-Hotel_Chelsea_2010.jpg

...which, actually, might integrate well w/the Arts & Letters Club behind it;-)

The balconies don't appear to be enclosed in that new rendering.

"Opening in July". If they're doing renovations they would probably have to start now to have any hope of having them finished by then.

Chelsea will be rebranded as the "Eaton Chelsea". Eaton being a new brand from Langham hotels.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...98416850.80876.168242226536248&type=1&theater

Is it a new brand? I thought they have had that brand for a while but this is the first one in North America?

I think this is an old owner (they have owned this for a long time) using an existing brand to, as I have said before, internalize managment given that their current external manager is moving on to manage someone else's hotel.

Not much more than that.

I don't even think there are any substantive reno's planned.....so everything that is old is new again!

The balconies don't appear to be enclosed in that new rendering.

"Opening in July". If they're doing renovations they would probably have to start now to have any hope of having them finished by then.

July might simply be the date for branding change from Delta to Eaton and without any major renovations?

There seems to be a little bit of construction material on the rooftop right now with temporary railing but probably a maintenance project rather than any substantive renovations.

On the balcony enclosure, I think it is only the older wing parallel to Gerrard street (built as an apartment building in late 60s) that is getting its balcony enclosed. The more recent section (built early 1990s) connecting to Elm street is probably not changing much.

Back