Hamilton Centurion | ?m | 9s | Effort Group | DPAI

yeah it's not going to remain as concrete.... it's clad in wood. Which I think will actually look quite nice.
Wood's become the "quick clad chic" look which is ironic cuz its a very "80s" sorta wood paneling thing but somehow it does end up usually looking good, esp. if it's done as an outdoor ceiling.

I actually have some faith this one will still turn out someone ok looking. Once the wood cladding is on, the painting is complete (note there is a lot of black in some areas, like balconies) and lighting is installed.

There is nothing redeeming about this build - shameful (from the developer to the architect to the low city standard or influence)

This sticks out so badly in a town (Dundas) filled with some legit architectural gems, including the town hall here juxtaposed against this monstrosity.

I didn’t take any pics of the street-facing side as it’s just a giant concrete wall. Facing the street.

Architectural design in Dundas really went downhill after Hamilton took over in 2000.
IMG_4088.jpeg
IMG_4091.jpeg

rip Hamilton architecture. That exposed concrete is just horrible. Someone run over there and put some cladding on it stat lol

although judging from their render it looks like there may be that dark stained wood cladding going over it eventually so.. that's something I guess.

Wood doesn’t have eyes to look out onto the street, providing a free and lowkey ‘community watch’ style of security for the immediate area and its residents.

Wood also doesn’t create pedestrian traffic like a storefront would. In an area of downtown Dundas that could actually really use an increase in foot traffic.

Considering the material used to finish the rest of this build, I can only assume the ‘wood’ would be some sort of manufactured product that mimics wood.

I guess we’ll all have to reserve judgement til this one’s complete…….

All of these Dundas projects need to have their addresses changed on their profile pages. To avoid confusion with streets in Hamilton.

71 Main St, Hamilton, Ontario, L9H 2E8
71 Main St, Dundas, Ontario, L9H 2E8
I get what your saying for addresses, but as for tags on the building forum, subdividing Hamilton’s threads into Ancaster, Dundas, Stoney Creek etc seems excessive and will be needlessly convoluted. I have thought about them doing this for the 416, but if it hasn’t happened there yet, it really shouldn’t here.

Dpai really dropped the ball on this one, especially given their relatively good reputation in the city for quality architecture. I wonder what happened behind the scenes.

Back