Toronto Centennial College: Progress Campus A Block | ?m | 6s | Centennial College | DIALOG

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
New building coming to Centennial's Progress Campus!

c03-compressed-1024x522.jpg

941 PROGRESS AVE
Ward 24 - Scarborough District

Expansion of existing A Block Building on the campus. The proposed 6 storey (17 m) institutional building will connect to the existing 3 storey building. The proposed addition consists of a total of 12,338 sq.m of gross floor area and will be comprised of a mixture of student classrooms and administrative offices. A total of 31 bicycle parking spaces are proposed. No new vehicular parking is proposed.

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys 6​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Site Plan Approval​
20 144475 ESC 24 SA​
May 12, 2020​
Under Review​

1590244794239.png

1590244837477.png

1590244868590.png

1590244908416.png

1590244960346.png

1590244989574.png

1590245014526.png

1590245052214.png

Pretty solid new addition, the top reminds me a bit of the Lassonde School of Engineering at York University. With Humber and Seneca going through their recent and/or ongoing new enhancements, Centennial are definitely stepping up their game to match the other outer borough colleges.

It's amazing how universities and colleges in this province are so ambitious with their building designs, especially when compared to residential developers who will design the cheapest form of garbage just to make a quick buck.

I guess the difference is that universities and colleges are basically all competing against one another to attract as many international students as they can, because they are the group in specific that brings in the big $$ for these institutions. Compared to residential developers where the complete opposite scenario is happening and they know that people are desperate for housing and are actively exploiting that fact.

It's amazing how universities and colleges in this province are so ambitious with their building designs, especially when compared to residential developers who will design the cheapest form of garbage just to make a quick buck.

I guess the difference is that universities and colleges are basically all competing against one another to attract as many international students as they can, because they are the group in specific that brings in the big $$ for these institutions. Compared to residential developers where the complete opposite scenario is happening and they know that people are desperate for housing and are actively exploiting that fact.
And these institutions are funded by the government and an endless supply of your tax dollars. The private housing market can only build what the consumer is willing to pay for. Government can do whatever they want and absorb cost increases and overuns.

And these institutions are funded by the government and an endless supply of your tax dollars. The private housing market can only build what the consumer is willing to pay for. Government can do whatever they want and absorb cost increases and overuns.
Do you think the funding these institutions get from governments fully cover nearly the amount necessary to fund their operational/capital costs? I guess universities and colleges charge skyhigh tuition fees, book fees, residence fees, etc for the sheer fun of it.

You make it seem as if post-secondary institutions can go the National Bank of Government and withdraw money anytime they please.

@interchange42 No pictures, but I passed through the progress campus and realized there was a crane up - I am expecting it is for this project, but I could be wrong

You would be correct.

They have a live stream; from which the screenshot below is taken:

1626719498397.png

Live Stream Link:

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. It looks great on an Admissions brochure.

Live Webcam update for this site, December 27th, 2021:

1640640698507.png

*mods* 2 quick notes, the status on this one should be 'under construction' ; also the pin very much in the wrong place on the map (wrong side of Progress!)

Last edited:

Back