Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

This neighborhood will be so incredibly different in time for film festival 2010.

Isn't the 2010 TIFF planned for the Bell Lightbox/Festival Tower ?
I thought I read that in the BL/FT thread about them rushing it to make sure it's done by then.

Isn't the 2010 TIFF planned for the Bell Lightbox/Festival Tower ?
I thought I read that in the BL/FT thread about them rushing it to make sure it's done by then.

That's assuming the Varsity & Cumberland are still used for TIFF.

May 20th Update

From Hayden & Church

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The painting of the balcony slabs is moving along well. I don't care what anyone says, this is a huge improvement to an already great looking building. I can't wait to see how the roof feature and lobby turns out.
I'm going on out a limb, but I believe that this is the highrise to watch in the next 5 or 6 months. Not to say there aren't a few other great projects at a similar stage, but I'm becoming more and more confident that this is my favorate of the year.

From Wellesley Street East

Last edited:
The balconies look 100% better painted white.
It also gives a nice contrast to the bronze/black aluminum framed windows and railings.

HUGE difference with the undersides being painted.

Although it is no secret how poorly Cresford treats its customers I knew there was no way they'd be so stupid as to not make what will be their "showcase" look as stunning as possible. (Especially with the nonsense they've created across the street).

Driving south on yonge st just south of st clare before heading down the hill CASA is becoming very prevalent and looks amazing this is the best angle I've seen of it. It looks incredibly sleek from that angle. I took a picture on my phone from that view but it doesn't do it any justice. People are really going to admire this thing a month from now when its covered in glass and hopefully has a hat that suits it well.

Driving south on yonge st just south of st clare before heading down the hill CASA is becoming very prevalent and looks amazing this is the best angle I've seen of it. It looks incredibly sleek from that angle. I took a picture on my phone from that view but it doesn't do it any justice. People are really going to admire this thing a month from now when its covered in glass and hopefully has a hat that suits it well.

I was walking home from my Dr. office at Yonge/St. Clair a couple of weeks ago and made the same observation. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me but I'll make an effort to get up that way to get a shot if someone else doesn't get there first. It truly is a very dramatic place to view Casa.

Unfortunately the first pic does it no justice at all. When you're actually at the spot I took the picture from CASA looks very large unlike the afterthought it appears to be in the picture.

In the last pic you probably can't see but there were a few construction workers adding more brick to the top of the podium on the south east corner. Would have been better if they weren't taken on my cell phone.

Attachments

• IMG00238-20090521-1512.jpg
    IMG00238-20090521-1512.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG00239-20090521-1519.jpg
    IMG00239-20090521-1519.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG00240-20090521-1523.jpg
    IMG00240-20090521-1523.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 173
21 May 2009 photo update

dsc00278p.jpg

dsc00282q.jpg

Yeah, more brick going up today on the podium:

dsc00284d.jpg

Does anyone else get a big energy boost walking by this site? The noise of the traffic+people walking on Charles+noise of workers and their voices+the sheer size of Casa really makes this gorgeous project come alive.

Hi everyone, I bought a unit at casa not too long ago and I really am looking forward to see this building get finished (just like lots of you guys!!!)
I have been working on construction sites for many years so I can probably get you some answers...

So first off, the elevator room is in what's called the mechanical penthouse, above the top floor. Elevators are the key driver for getting occupancy, you can't occupy without elevators. I strongly believe that all four elevators will service all levels because there's no "mid-way-through the building mech room" (as some of the concord adex buildings on spadina have). having said that, the elevator contractor isprobably already working on site setting up elevator rails but they won't start their "real" work until the roof is done because they need power to their machine room. For a building this size, i can only assume that the elevators won't be ready for 12 weeks, possibly more. At the pace they seem to go, I guess the roof will be done in July... add 3 months and your in October, probably November...so Cresford's latest update of December seems realistic.

As for some units being already complete "ready for occupancy" (other than elevators) , it probably is true, keeping in mind that these project move at about a floor per week per trade and they've had window up for quite a while. I could guess that they might even have over a dozen floors ready. On the other hand, hardwood floors usually get installed in the summer if timing allows (else you would have to control heat and humidity in the floors being worked on to avoid wood expanding during the day and contracting at night or in high vs low humity\temp variations = expensive) So if any of you go take a look, they probably are just starting with the floors or will shorthly.

FYI, I STRONGLY recommend against walking on your own on a construction site, day or night. I don't know if you heard but just about 6 months ago, an experience foreman from a reputable plumbing company died at a site just down the street from casa; something randomly fell on him, didn't kill him but nobody found him until after it was too late.
There are tons of shit that could happen... There are people welding (it burns like hell if a melted metal spark falls in your shirt from the floor above you through a drain opening or whatever...), unprotected openings, and many other things. Also the builder is responsible for anyone on site so if you get hurt, they're in deep shit because YOU had no training and no business being there. The Ministry of Labour could potentially close the site down following such an incident which would delay our precious project...

Anyhow, I'm not a big Internet user (hey I work on site!!!) but feel free to ask some technical questions and I'll do my best. Also, i'll call a few contacts of mine to see if I don't know anyone that works there to get more inside info.

Keep taking good pics everyone, it's very interesting to watch.

Great post Asek. Thanks for the input! It would be amazing if someone on the inside took pics that we could see her. But do you not think we may even see the top floor complete in June not July as you said? I mean from what I can tell they're on the 45th right now. We're just about there...I would have guessed we' see things top out in June...and then in July have all the glass completed.

Back