Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

Wow - comparing this tiny park (which i really like by the way) to all those other parks is a more than hyperbolic, it's absurd!!...and embarassing. Just another time when we keep trying to convince ourselves we're so great because we're "like" all these other cool places that have cool things. We need to stop it. Thanks for the park City of Toronto, but Cityplace needs to chill. Also the 09-09-09 thing has already been in tons of trailers for the awesome looking movie "9".

I also like the park and think it's going to look pretty incredible. We're not trying to compare ourselves to other great cities but I for one have not seen another project in Toronto that has created a space like this for the public's enjoyment. It's always about allocating the smallest parcel of land for public green space and/or designing it in such a way that the public will be intimidated to use the space. Personally, 8 acres is definitely not tiny if you have been looking at other "parks" for condo projects in downtown Toronto. Cityplace did an impressive job and why wouldn't they celebrate it? If I were a developer I would totally boast about it!

I think its great the Cityplace is being delivered (in some way shape or form) similar to the original concept ... however I echo the thoughts of many here, in NO WAY is Cityplace Park (is that the final name anyways?) comparable to Central Park New York, Hyde Park London, Beihai Park Beijing, Jardin des Champ-Elysees Paris, Golden Gate Park San Francisco, and Yoyogi Park Tokyo ... if you've been to these other parks, you will agree that both in terms of scale, grandeur, and the importance of each park in their respective City is far in excess of Cityplace Park's identity in Toronto~

nonetheless, the trailer is pretty cool though ... good suspense mood, just like the movies trailers LOL ~

what could we possibly do to save ourselves when 10.10.10 comes ?? :D

The marketing folks at City Place are delusional with their comparison to those parks. That said, Toronto does have somewhat comparable parks. High Park, The Islands, and some our Ravine parks come to mind. Although, they're looking pretty shabby these days.

We are building some interesting small parks, like the Music Garden, HTO and Ireland Park. Sherboune park, June Caldwell Park and Sugar beach will add some diversity as well. City Place Park fits into this small park category.

I think, Lake Ontario Park, if completed as planned, will be the park that becomes Toronto's equivalent to all of those great parks mentioned in the video. Its size and diverse natural offerings will be unique for an urban park. Let's hope it gets built.

Remember, we're talking about something here more along the lines of Millennium Park, not Grant Park...

Hyde park in London is far from anything remarkable I've seen it twice in person ... Edwards gardens in Toronto is a lot better in my opinion, High park is different but I also prefer it. We really do have some nice parks in Toronto but again, the Canadian mentality of, oh it must be better elsewhere, rules ...

Well as a Canadian I cannot omit Stanley Park, truly one of the best city spaces in the world!

Toronto's parks are simply not on par with some of the great ones mentioned in the video but this may also be somewhat cultural where Torontonians in general (and not the special ones on this forum) put 'frivolous' things like design and urban planning/beautification quite low on the priority list. Public spending on social programs and the funding of interest groups is far more politicized here and comes far higher. Can we be too surprised that there is little left to make beautiful boulevards, repave roads or plant trees etc. Just look around, the condition of NPS - the symbolic civic heart of the city - is telling.

Most of the planning/improvements we see these days is thanks to the BIAs and condo developers while the larger fabric of the overall city languishes. The waterfront appears to be a happy exception, if not a seemingly slow and arduous one.

Back