Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

Saturday:

I thought the park was going to blow away ( or at least have a couple cranes fall on it!)

IMG_1027.jpg

didn't get a chance to snap a pic as i drove by today but there is grass/sod on the south side of the hill ...

the trees on the west side are deciduous with an exception of a few in the south west corner that are evergreen and look similar to the picture below .. mind you this was from the gardiner so i might be waaayyy off :cool:

whitepine101207r.jpg

Last edited:
I think the grass that's growing is probably just seeds that were on the soil when they covered the hill. I started noticing a bit of green on the hill about 2weeks ago. Also, they've been laying down gravel around the hill to place the concrete on.

They're pouring cement to form the wide path from the canoe platform down the slope northwards.

The finished park will be gorgeous, but with raised platforms and areas of different elevation, I am afraid it will also be a paradise playground for skate-boarders and rollerbladers. Hope the city will not allow that to happen.

Last edited:
I can't wait till winter and toboggan down the hill, or better yet, build a kicker and snowboard down the hill (if there's enough slope and height of the hill)

that's a good idea! I haven't done that in years. Since it's so close by this would be a big incentive. That is... if they don't ban it :O

And why would this be a problem?

Because I think certain places are meant for certain things. The thought of 30 teenagers flying through the air, attempting dangerous moves in a public area where families bring their kids to run around is not pretty. I have nothing against rollerbladers/skateboarders; I wish there are more places where they could hang out. I am happy to stay out of their way. But a park and a skating/skateboarding park are two different things. Same reason why there are designated bike/rollerblade lanes, insteading of everyone sharing the road. And why you don't like it if they do it in a parking lot of a large mall. It's a safety issue concerning everybody. The same reason why they put up signs prohibitting them on the Spadina wavedeck.

Less so than safety the skateboarding irritates me because of the damage it does to public spaces. For example kids have destroyed many of the stone planters along St. George by grinding their boards along the edges. I've also noticed many railings and stairs in the financial district show similar wear. I don't see why the city can't just add some more skate parks, or maybe build some deliberate skate-friendly features into parks, so that really nice and expensive granite and stainless steel isn't ruined like that

Is there any evidence that skateboarding has significantly affected people's safety (aside from the skateboarders, that is)?

This is not a criticism. Just an honest question.

No, I don't have evidence that skateboarding affected peole's safety. But then again, I don't have evidence that biking on sidewalks affect people's safety either. And yet that is not allowed.

Back