Toronto Canary Park Condominiums | 54.25m | 16s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I imagine that the area will feel much more vibrant once the trees and greenery mature... and of course once there are people here!

Grey will always be a dreary color. It will never change. There's no amount of foliage or lipstick to liven up an entire community of grey.

Personally, I love grey! (I've painted my last two places various shades of grey). I do hope, though, that balconies are wrapped in colour for the Pan Am Games, similar to the renderings we had seen.

The grey brick gives the community a somewhat dour look. There's nothing like the orange and red bricks the Victorians loved. The Victorians accentuated facades with different coloured brick as well. (The most common style was orange/red brick with yellow brick accents around windows.) They realized that in the 1970s when they built all the infill in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood. As much as I love Modernism, there's so much material style that can be used in modern architecture that's in our vernacular but apparently forgotten in contemporary brick buildings: polychromatic brickwork, clinker brick and terracotta, for instance.

The grey brick gives the community a somewhat dour look. There's nothing like the orange and red bricks the Victorians loved. The Victorians accentuated facades with different coloured brick as well. (The most common style was orange/red brick with yellow brick accents around windows.) They realized that in the 1970s when they built all the infill in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood. As much as I love Modernism, there's so much material style that can be used in modern architecture that's in our vernacular but apparently forgotten in contemporary brick buildings: polychromatic brickwork, clinker brick and terracotta, for instance.

Agreed. There is something about grey brick that's just not viscerally appealing when it's applied ad nauseam.

On the other hand, I never tire of red brick. Entire neighbourhoods that are built in red brick are still appealing to me, even when the sidewalks are made of the same red brick. Red brick goes well with every season. It's as beautiful in the snow as it is on a sunny summer day. It even looks great on a dreary, grey day. It even looks good when the buildings come right up to the street, not softened by anything else, like trees, flowers and interesting pavement.

ne_sheafe.jpg

Shot mid-June:

P1390727.jpg

P1390715.jpg

P1390718.jpg

P1390722.jpg

Attachments

• P1390715.jpg
    P1390715.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,946
  • P1390718.jpg
    P1390718.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,899
  • P1390722.jpg
    P1390722.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,876
  • P1390727.jpg
    P1390727.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,888
July 15th:

IMG_20140715_132919.jpg

IMG_20140715_132936.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140715_132919.jpg
    IMG_20140715_132919.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,631
  • IMG_20140715_132936.jpg
    IMG_20140715_132936.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,660
If you told me this was TCHC, an office building or school dorm, I'd believe you. Unfortunately, people paid market prices for this mess. The only thing I like is the all brick construction. Other than that, it's a disappointment along with this entire development at this point. I know I sound like a broken record but this city's aversion to color is baffling.

And those pale blue/green cylinders on the top are uggg.

Right down the street TCHC looking like a much better deal. :cool:
15627460002_9408e30ec3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Grey brick is being over-used, definitely. And like any style that is overused, it has become irritating to look at. But once we've moved onto a different obsessive material choice, and once grey brick has accumulated some history and memories (it will become associated with the early 2010s in people's memories, for instance), it will become a source of nostalgia and romance, just as red brick has. Red brick was often despised in Victorian England for its oppressive ubiquity (and for class reasons - it being associated with working class or the middle class) - but since the oppressiveness is no longer an issue for us, we view it positively.

We also despise grey brick not for its actual appearance, but for what it says about Torontonians and the developments made for them (obsessed with trends, nervous about the new, nostalgic for a working-class past, budget-conscious, not showy). Torontonians are terrified of mistakes (a lot of the complaints on this board are about supposed mistakes in our urban fabric), and so they err on the side of doing what everyone else is doing (hence the obsessive need for Torontonians to have what other cities have). We don't have the same culture of showing off which has developed in New York; it's very un-Toronto to show off. Hence why grey brick is so popular (and why red brick before it was so popular): if there is a material that makes no claims about striving above your station, it is brick.

Back