Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

October 05

There is a sign for Shopper Drugs and I cannot get the TD sign clear enough to say if they are financing the project or putting in a branch.
6241860011_c1c1b34a1e_b.jpg

6242372130_9e993e4f66_b.jpg

6241855029_99981bdb97_b.jpg

6242366242_d0733e4c03_b.jpg

6242365128_457e83a235_b.jpg

...and I cannot get the TD sign clear enough to say if they are financing the project or putting in a branch.

As per Automation Gallery;

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To modify the redevelopment plan for the eight-storey mixed-use building, under construction as approved under Site Specific By-law 895-2003 (OMB Decision 1602), as amended by By-law 575-2007, by increasing the size of one of the retail store units located on the ground floor (to be occupied by a financial institution).
REQUESTED VARIANCE TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
Section 2, OMB (Decision No. 1602), amending Site Specific By-law 895-2003
The maximum permitted non-residential gross floor area for a single retail store is 450 m².
The proposed non-residential gross floor area for a single retail store (an anchor financial institution tenant) will be
552 m².

October 05

There is a sign for Shopper Drugs and I cannot get the TD sign clear enough to say if they are financing the project or putting in a branch.

Yes! and Yes! I use Shoppers Drug Mart a lot and TD is my bank. This is a 2 minute walk from me, although the other Shoppers on King and TD on Euclid are not that far either. It'll be good for variety.

The facade cladding on these new buildings looks quite good, aside from the brutal parking garage. Yet the big and plainly visible mechanical boxes really look cheap and institutional. Those structures are so big and visible that they look like corners were cut by not cladding the top floor with regular cladding.

I spoke with a friend @ Verdiroc. It is a TD. They've signed leases with Shoppers Drug Mart and TD. A Swiss Chalet is in the works as well. Yes!!

urbandreamer, I can vouch for the fact that you do not have a grasp of the concept of "cool".

Anyways, can anyone tell me who the architects are for this project? The thread title doesn't say. I'm curious because some of the buildings remind me of some of the more recent buildings at University of Guelph.

I don't always go for UD's particular brand of self-promotion or all his pointed opinions, but in this case anyone who disagrees with him is patently "uncool" - Spire's comment is laughable, though unfortunately tragic as it is indeed representative of much of Toronto's (tepid and boring) (mono)culture. Perhaps Swiss Chalet (!) is your definition of cool, but there once was a reason why WQW was cool, and it was for being the opposite of a Shopper's, Chalet, and Bank. "Cool" is a nebulous and often troubled concept, but forking hefty portions of suburban meat into my bulging belly - with my three kids slathering gravy all over themselves - is about as uncool as I can imagine. Welcome to the new Queen. Dundas here I come, Bloor see you soon.

Edit: Kids and families can be cool, so don't think that is what I am saying; instead, I am referring to the fact that these are all chain stores which exist in every suburb in North America, lending no independence, uniqueness, or genuine interest to the area. This kind of Monoculture will destroy the reasons why interesting shops and tourists come to Queen.

Last edited:
There will be an apartment building onsite with affordable rentals (not Toronto Community Housing) opening in early 2012 with bach, 1, 2 & 3 bedrooms, I just may look into it. I think it's finally time for a nabe change, plus rumours of rent in my building going up 9-10% next year :(. Not sure if rents are geared to income or not.

Yes, indeed Parkdale is also a refuge, and its development is much more promising thus far. New interesting restaurants have opened near Roncy, with both a gentrified yet unique vibe. They play off the past history of Canada by being rustic and meat centric, giving Toronto a feel for both itself and the past. Of course they are expensive, as is Parts and Labour, but these restaurants at least think of the place, have a philosophy and a feeling, and add to your experience of the city. That is the kind of development I would like to see with the Q lofts moving in.

The dense retail is good, and I like the lack of uniformity to the spaces. However, the architecture is sterile and uninspiring, unfortunately conforming to the stereotype of affordable housing, a la Moss Park. Queen West evokes the creativity of emerging artists and fashionable retailers and should have much more engaging architecture.

Yes, unfortunately this design is terrible - look at that awning with the stripes! What better place than WQW to test out new engaging designs? If not here, where? Sigh.

Back