Toronto Burke Condominiums | 163.4m | 53s | Concert | Arcadis

Lanterra is part of the Mandelbaum family. I wouldn't count anything out.

The OMB approved a new version which eliminates the 12-storey building and turns the 45-storey one on Sherbourne into a 50-storey one. There's more open space, and more non-residential space in the project to be used as community facilities.
Were there any changes to the 45-storey tower at Bloor and Howard? That's the one I'm really excited about here.

I suspect that there aren't, but we may not know until the marketing renderings begin to appear. (No idea which of these they will opt to build first.)

Saw this on the property today, in the park, across the street. (I'm in 77 Howard Street, facing north, 20th floor)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,243
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    811.7 KB · Views: 1,027
image.jpg

There's the matter of this 130 year old heritage home on the property that isn't shown on the plans. Trouble is, as far as I know, as I said, it's listed as a heritage property, and according to the owner, whom I spoken to many, many times, he's absolutely refusing to sell. He's a very elderly man, who, not to sound cruel, doesn't seem to be all there (but is very nice non the less), anyone know what's to become of his home, which is smack dab in the lower left corner, and, as I would imagine, a major obstacle before construction begins. (Sorry for the poor image quality, taken with my iPad camera from my balcony). Can't really see the home, it's covered in with trees, but trust me, it's a big home on a sizeable property.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 905
Last edited by a moderator:
Pic of the property as is from my balcony, kind of a piss off, ever since I lived here (since 2008), I've loved having a small park across the street to look at, which is why I'm really dreading this project, which is going to block half my view, along with The Selby at the end of my street, we'll loose much of our sun (depending on the time of the year) and more view. When we first moved here, we had an north facing 180 degree, unobstructed view, but now in a few years, we'll loose at least 90 degrees of that view, amazing how fast the Yonge and Bloor is growing. I know living downtown means your view can be changed at any time, thank god we rent, since the Selby will be a high end rental, we're planning on moving there once it's finished, if I'm lucky, and if we can get an application in as soon as they allow it. I'm aiming for the PH, south facing, fingers crossed.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 984
It's not a park. It's private property. One of those rare sites that has remained undeveloped including being paved over.

Nimbyism on full display.

I can't see how this project and Selby along with the Easton Group project are not great improvements for the area.

They definitely are. I live nearby as well and am thrilled to see change. The above photographed parcel of land is very nice. But it is currently in disrepair. I believe that this project includes plans for a park. So hopefully it will be an improvement.

Pic of the property as is from my balcony, kind of a piss off, ever since I lived here (since 2008), I've loved having a small park across the street to look at, which is why I'm really dreading this project, which is going to block half my view, along with The Selby at the end of my street, we'll loose much of our sun (depending on the time of the year) and more view. When we first moved here, we had an north facing 180 degree, unobstructed view, but now in a few years, we'll loose at least 90 degrees of that view, amazing how fast the Yonge and Bloor is growing. I know living downtown means your view can be changed at any time, thank god we rent, since the Selby will be a high end rental, we're planning on moving there once it's finished, if I'm lucky, and if we can get an application in as soon as they allow it. I'm aiming for the PH, south facing, fingers crossed.

Although I'd agree losing greenery of any kind is a loss for anyone, you've got the parkette just east of Parliament. And Rosedale Valley is pretty sweet on its own. I'm looking forward to a time when the City puts in switchback paths and renaturalizes the valley walls so they can become parks in their own right. Not just here, but for much of the city's ravine system.

And yeah, I'd be interested in knowing what will happen to that home as well...it's an interesting holdout, similar to the laundromat on Parliament just north of Wellesley. And I can't tell from the images, but will any of this easternmost building have driveways leading onto Bloor? I think it'd be nice to have something that reduces the highway-like state of that section of Bloor.

Although I'd agree losing greenery of any kind is a loss for anyone, you've got the parkette just east of Parliament. And Rosedale Valley is pretty sweet on its own. I'm looking forward to a time when the City puts in switchback paths and renaturalizes the valley walls so they can become parks in their own right. Not just here, but for much of the city's ravine system.
Seems unlikely to happen anytime soon, considering Rosedale residents' well-documented hatred of switchback trails.

Don't misunderstand me, you all know what a skyscraper nut I am, yet at the same time, private property or public, I really enjoyed having that small bit of green space. But, on the plus side, if they do build it may help drown out the sound coming off Bloor, which, at times, can be quite loud. Either way, you can't stop progress, and this area has been overlooked far too long. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't rebuilt all of James Town, it's a huge chunk of property with old, falling apart buildings that desperately need to be either tone down and turned condo, or refurbished at the very least.

The medallion properties have been going through extensive refurbishing and upgrades. Hopefully some of the other management companies follow their lead.
Also lanterra's restoration of all those heritage houses is pretty great. Glen Rd on the south side of the bridge is looking amazing

Just to give you an idea why I was hoping this project didn't progress, this is my current view, (bottom pic) would you be happy loosing it? (Although I totally accept there's no such thing as a garunteed view), also, in the top pic, this is my view looking left. When I moved here in 2008, NONE of the tallest towers were there, shows just how fast, only 7 years, the skyline is changing.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 686

Back