Toronto Burke Condominiums | 163.4m | 53s | Concert | Arcadis

The wood beams were taken off neatly stacked skids, off two fully packed flat bed tractor trailers, so I don't think it was from the Selby sight.

They likely stacked them at the Selby site onto skids for transport to the storage site. Drove by again yesterday and they are indeed the same ones from the Selby site. Same company too.

The house on the site is in the process of being lifted off its foundation. Trees have all been removed from the area where it is being moved to. It's only a matter of weeks before the site is cleared and ready for construction to begin!

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,764
From the weekend.

IMG_9359.JPG
IMG_9360.JPG
IMG_9362.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9359.JPG
    IMG_9359.JPG
    694.5 KB · Views: 1,179
  • IMG_9360.JPG
    IMG_9360.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_9362.JPG
    IMG_9362.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 1,182
So when will construction on the towers begin? They renovated the houses on Glen quite some time ago, and now they're moving this house - surely the start of the big show is imminent?

No. As was discussed in this thread on the previous page, this is not the next project that Lanterra is focused on.

Yeah, this is down Howard closer to Sherbourne. Does make you wonder why they are moving it now. I'd love to know the history of the ownership too. It clearly was the only hold out for this block. What impact did it have on the north blocks not being built?

The last several pages of Chapter 5 "Rejection of Modern Planning" in John Sewell's The Shape of the City (U of T Press 1993) deals with the creation of St. James Town, and while it doesn't address the north blocks directly, one learns, not surprisingly, that the redevelopment of the area was controversial and problematic. After the details of Chapter 5, Chapter 6 "Creating and Alternative to Modernism" cites the St. James Town experience again as an example of mistakes to be learned from.

You're making me want to re-read the whole book!

For sure but I'm specifically interested about this one, lone hold out that stood right in the middle of a proposed tower for the approved North block site plan. Ultimately, Meridian and its partners (today known as park property, medallion, sterling karamar) purchased more property around Toronto than what they could do with it and Meridian eventually went bust.

Rather crude analogy (though expected) and not the way things happened either. The developer didn't get anywhere near what they wanted. The city also took this listed house and designated it before anything could happen to this "heap".

Back