Toronto Broadview Hotel | 28.65m | 7s | Streetcar | ERA Architects

"In the second half of the 20th century, John S. Businessman operated a vibrant striptease establishment in this venerable landmark. Men of various walks of life would celebrate a hard day of work by indulging in the carnal pleasures of a having sexually-appealing woman dancing on their laps in the nude."

HERITAGE TORONTO

c3b96afb-c804-45a7-925e-5c4cef6a5a08_zpspzpvo1c0.jpg

Is there any chance that the houses on the east side of Broadview get redeveloped into something with street-facing retail, and the street itself becoming more pedestrian-friendly? We could use a proper connection between Queen East and the proposed office district.

The east side of Broadview is classified as a neighbourhood, so as best as I know it would need rezoning to get street-facing retail.

Reworking that stretch of Broadview would be good.

Is there any chance that the houses on the east side of Broadview get redeveloped into something with street-facing retail, and the street itself becoming more pedestrian-friendly? We could use a proper connection between Queen East and the proposed office district.
There was a proposal a couple of years ago for the east side of Broadview from Eastern Avenue to about mid-block. As far as I know it is dead but the buildings are boarded up and most have been de-roofed. (Demlition by neglect!)

Eastern2.JPG

Attachments

• Eastern2.JPG
    Eastern2.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 833
I've worked on two different shows over the past year and a half where we've used that location. This derelict strip makes for a fine slice of downtrodden Chicago - especially for night scenes. Dress it right, it can be downright spooky.

Professional comments aside, I'd love to see this sad stretch go and some great new stuff go up in its place. It's well past time. The whole of lower Broadview is going to be radically different in ten years.

Leslieville in general needs massive, pedestrian/bike/retail-first master plan that actually sees implementation (like much of the city's more recently popular shopping and eating/drinking neighbourhoods).

Back