News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Toronto Breweries, Brew Pubs, Bottle Shops

Yeah. If I'm at the LCBO, I'll get something from Collective Arts, Sawdust City or GLB (or a bunch of others) before anything from Junction. And if I'm going out to the Junction to visit breweries, I'm going to Indie Ale House, Shacklands and/or Rainhard first.

Yeah. If I'm at the LCBO, I'll get something from Collective Arts, Sawdust City or GLB (or a bunch of others) before anything from Junction. And if I'm going out to the Junction to visit breweries, I'm going to Indie Ale House, Shacklands and/or Rainhard first.
It's just a shame that Junction happens to occupy by far the most impressive space...

I've been enjoying People's Pint a lot lately. They're in Junction Craft's former space on Cawthra Ave. If things don't work out for Junction Craft, maybe PP can upgrade to that space too. :)

(Actually, hope not. I hope JC can keep going, and I want PP to stay closer to home)

Junction was always "*okay* (just like Henderson is okay) but Shacklands and Rainhard always had more interesting brews. Yeah, with the new large space (and nothing that could fill it for the last 20 months), and the loss of some of that contract brewing they've done, it'd hit hard.

Another brewery that overextended itself and went bust is Abe Erb, whose first location was in Uptown Waterloo (and had decent, if not amazing offerings, and a good food menu), but expanded to Kitchener, Guelph, and Ayr (!). Then the pandemic hit.

I suspect we'll see a few of the smaller, uninventive, and/or overextended breweries disappear.

Junction was always "*okay* (just like Henderson is okay) but Shacklands and Rainhard always had more interesting brews. Yeah, with the new large space (and nothing that could fill it for the last 20 months), and the loss of some of that contract brewing they've done, it'd hit hard.

Another brewery that overextended itself and went bust is Abe Erb, whose first location was in Uptown Waterloo (and had decent, if not amazing offerings, and a good food menu), but expanded to Kitchener, Guelph, and Ayr (!). Then the pandemic hit.

I suspect we'll see a few of the smaller, uninventive, and/or overextended breweries disappear.

I would argue that while Henderson was average at best when starting out, they really started to raise their game after a while. They've put out a number of very interesting brews that are usually only available at their bottle shop. Don't let the stuff they have at the LCBO fool you!

Another thing about Junction Craft - while their space is certainly among the most impressive in the city, it's rather awkwardly located if you don't have access to a car.

BACKGROUND TO THE ACQUISTION OPPORTUNITY

On October 15, 2021, Junction Craft Brewing Inc. (“Junction” or the “Company”) filed a notice of intention to make a Proposal (an “NOI”) pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (Canada).

On November 8, 2021, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) (the “Court”) issued an order, which, among other things, (i) authorized the Trustee, on behalf of Junction, to undertake a sale solicitation process (the “Sale Process”) for the sale of Junction’s business and/or assets and (ii) approved a share purchase agreement, as amended (the “Stalking Horse Agreement”) for the acquisition of Junction’s business by the stalking horse bidder (the “Stalking Horse Bidder”).

OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY

Junction was founded in 2011 and operates primarily as a brewer and seller of hand-crafted beers and other beverage products from an approximately 16,513 square foot leased premises located at 150 Symes Road, Toronto, Ontario (the “Premises”). Junction’s operations include: (i) the sale of its owned brewed beer under various brands, both at the Premise, through its on-site taproom and through retailers including the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and The Beer Store, and (ii) the production of beer, cold brew coffee, non-alcoholic sparkling beverages and spirit-based drinks, on a contract basis on behalf of approximately twenty different parties (the “Brewing Partners”). Junction is a turnkey operation that has invested substantial capital in the Premises since moving to it in 2018. Junction currently has approximately twenty-six employees and operates seven days a week.

juncraft.JPG

Also in the news this week: two larger independent breweries - Beau's and Steam Whistle - merged their distribution and sales operations. It is not a full and complete merger, but it's an interesting development.

Also in the news this week: two larger independent breweries - Beau's and Steam Whistle - merged their distribution and sales operations. It is not a full and complete merger, but it's an interesting development.

Steam Whistle? Ewww.

View attachment 363764

I wish Bellwoods would take over this place! What other fantastic craft brewers would be ideal to take over this lovely facility? Maybe someone like Third Moon in order to get a foothold in Toronto. They're the absolute darlings of the craft beer scene in Ontario.

Back