Toronto Bohemian Embassy Flats + Lofts | ?m | 19s | Pemberton | P + S / IBI

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
This building is very blah, but I like the massing along queen. So much more appropriate than the Queen/Portland development which wimps out at what, 3 storeys?

- is there any space between it and Woolfitt's?

I think it butts right up.

Meh. The BLAHemian Embassy, looks so cheap especially when contrasted with the splendid Gladstone Hotel across the steet.

My disappointment didn't stop me from taking a few shots yesterday evening:

5154632639_a8a10ca2be_b.jpg

5155240646_86b7439e50_b.jpg

5154633523_4d09479132_b.jpg

I've always admired this old Victorian across the street, despite the horrible lobotomy that was done to what I assume was a second empire top floor:

5155241446_fee69d8a5b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Really? I think it looks quite nice.

I saw it earlier last week - it looks pretty good, fits in pretty well as well.

I think it looks horrible. Most of the brick in the area is red, but they used something very yellowish and they should have stepped it back much much further after the 3rd floor. The new condos at queen/portland accomplish this extremely well and don't create a tunnel feeling like BE does.

I think it looks horrible. Most of the brick in the area is red, but they used something very yellowish and they should have stepped it back much much further after the 3rd floor. The new condos at queen/portland accomplish this extremely well and don't create a tunnel feeling like BE does.

Queen/Portland..., at this moment you would think its a parking garage unless you look at it from a distance and realize they have taged a couple of residential floors above it..i dont know about looking any better than BE

Last edited:
Ummm... this development doesn't have above-ground parking, does it?

And for the person who said they chose too yellow a brick and not red... note that that's just one of the buildings/phases that's the yellowy brick. It's mostly red/orange.

I think the massing of BE is the only main thing it really has going for it. There's no tunnel feeling. There's a "street" feeling, which I consider a good thing. The suburban-scale 3-storey podium on queen/portland was probably only designed that way to respond to some planner's idea of "fitting in" with the scale of the Victorian buildings around it. It's a don't stand out, don't draw attention to yourself, don't take a risk building. And as a consequence it will look small, cheap, suburban and mediocre... kind of like a Rob Ford voter.

Queen is a major artery and the steet presence of new buildings should be substantial in my opinion.

I think the massing of BE is the only main thing it really has going for it. There's no tunnel feeling. There's a "street" feeling, which I consider a good thing. The suburban-scale 3-storey podium on queen/portland was probably only designed that way to respond to some planner's idea of "fitting in" with the scale of the Victorian buildings around it. It's a don't stand out, don't draw attention to yourself, don't take a risk building. And as a consequence it will look small, cheap, suburban and mediocre... kind of like a Rob Ford voter.

Queen is a major artery and the steet presence of new buildings should be substantial in my opinion.

I agree completely with this sentiment. A strong streetwall instantly creates a sense of urbanity.

Well look at the Great Gulf lofts projects in St. Lawrence neighbourhood, with the terraces up top, at King and Jarvis. Absolutely perfect setup-- creates density without making a tunnel.

Thus, I agree that the Bohemian Embassy has excellent massing for the area.

I like the massing too, but it looks cheap and dated. Plus the cladding is taking forever.

I like the warehouse-esque windows, but the brick and precast detailing are lacking. Sort of reminds me of the early 1990s PoMo of structures like the Sun Building, or George Brown College building on Adelaide (pre-renovation). This might've been decent 20 years ago, but now it already looks dated.

Back