Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

I just came here to say that BMO is almost as big an embarrassment as that concrete bunker called the Rogers Centre and the claustrophobic Scotiabank Arena. Clearly if we are to be world class and not upset ticket buyers we should burn these three buildings down and start over.

We haven’t had anything world class since Exhibition Stadium and Maple Leaf Gardens. It’s a damn shame.
What would you see as world class?

To a degree they do but more and more are going to Europe to get ideas.
Well, that doesn't necessarily speak to the merit of that. If you were an executive would you rather an all expenses paid trip to Europe or Toronto?
Given the sales figures for the arena, it's hard to argue with the success and it shouldn't be a surprise that people come to tour the operations.

It's really not an aesthetically pleasing renovation, even if it is temporary. Looks pretty bush league imo.

Unfortunately, looking through the 2026 World Cup venues, I think ours will be by far the least impressive (except perhaps Vancouver might give us a run for our money). But what can you do? The American venues are all NFL stadiums seating 60,000+, and it wouldn't make sense to dramatically expand BMO permanently in light of where MLS attendance tends to sit. Still think it's extremely cool there will be games hosted here though.

Unfortunately, looking through the 2026 World Cup venues, I think ours will be by far the least impressive (except perhaps Vancouver might give us a run for our money).

BC Place (seats 54,405) is a good looking facility, especially after its $514 million renovation 12 years ago.. Toronto will, by far, have the least impressive stadium. The new Ontario Line train station at Exhibition won't be finished in time for 2026 either. It's a shame as the world's eyes will be directed our way. The grandeur of BMO Field is a reflection of our support for Toronto's soccer and football teams. If one or both demanded 70,000 seat stadia, that's what we'd have already.

Last edited:
Neither of those teams that play at BMO need anything close to a 70k capacity facility though.

Precisely. Perhaps one day they will but it will take time. Sports teams are a product of the time, money, effort, and passion citizens pour into them over decades.

From a TFC email blast.

1679084149971.png

Back