Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

I was one of those people... outside of TFC games and the ex, the tunnel really wasn't that bad. Like I said, it only created issues during a small period of the year. I never had any issues outside of those two events.

Considering that the Ex and TFC are the main cause of congestion in the tunnel, perhaps they should be the ones footing the bill for another access point? At the end of the day, they are the two groups with the most to gain from this, especially if its a matter of people simply using the tunnel (GO Infrastructure) to cross from LV to the Ex without actually using GO services.
I, honestly, don't care who pays for it.....my point has always been that if someone other than the city owned the stadium....someone would have paid for it by now...because the expansion would not have approved if a 3rd party had said "we want to increase capacity by 50% but we are not going to improve the capacity of the neighbouring infrastructure at all".

https://mobile.twitter.com/TFC_GroundsDept/status/815734274888466432

That was a lot of sports... Nov 27th-Jan 1st. @torontofc @TorontoArgos @MapleLeafs @BMOField ... now to dial it in for March 31st.

C1IR_RZXgAAHK4v.jpg

Possibility of another BMO Field expansion mentioned by TFC President Bill Manning in the article below. With this year's success and many sellout games this season, I think that it makes sense, and would improve an already amazing atmosphere.

What seems to be proposed is "safe standing areas" in the south end for 2019 or 2020, and retaining seating in the north end for next season with a permanent expansion in the future. Eventually, the goal seems to be to add 4,000 to 5,000 seats in total, bringing the seating capacity of BMO Field to 35-36k.

Toronto FC to play CONCACAF Champions League home games at BMO Field

Important parts (excerpts):

Manning, speaking at his end-of-season media availability, also revealed that TFC hope to retain seating in the north end next season - with permanent expansion of BMO Field a possibility down the line - and introduce safe standing in the south end no later than 2020....

“I really am looking at the north stand, and keeping that and making that a permanent addition to the stadium. And then there was a couple of little premium areas that we may make permanent, so that’ll add probably 1,400-or-so seats.

“And then as we continue forward, [expansion is] something we’ll look at. Let’s get through a couple of seasons selling out every single game, and then we’ll probably look at what are the opportunities for us to add 4,000 or 5,000 seats permanently.”

Manning is targeting the 2019 season for the introduction of safe standing in the area of the stadium inhabited by the club’s supporters’ groups, but promised it would be in place by 2020 at the latest.

“It’s something we’ve talked about,” he said. “It’s something I want to do.

“We would have to make a capital investment to make the whole south end standing room, and that’s something we’re looking forward to do.

“It will be done. Mark my words. It will be done.

“It won’t be done for next season. My hope is we can get that done for the 2019 season and I’ve told everyone downtown I’d like to have it done at least by 2020, because I think having the safe standing would be such a big... look, they stand all game anyway.

“Sometimes we get chairs broken - it takes out a lot of hassles, actually. So we’re hoping to get that done.”

Manning appeared to suggest the safe standing will take the form of rail seating, as has been popularized by Bundesliga stadiums, to ensure that the south end can be used normally for Toronto Argonauts games.

“It’ll still have a fold-out seat,” the president added. “That’s where that capital improvement comes in - we have to get it so that it’s fold-out.

“During TFC games, it obviously would just be folded back because they don’t sit anyway.”

I think we'll end up like Avaya Stadium in San Jose with a big empty end and then two tiers wrapped around three sides. Not ideal but can be filled temporary seating for big events. Take a look at Corinthians stadium now vs. how they had it for the World Cup (sat in the temporary stands and they were quite the construction!).

BMO Field being proposed with a capacity of 45,000 for the 2026 bid.

2026 FIFA World Cup™ Stadium Toronto BMO Field The state-of-the-art facility underwent a USD $120 million renovation in 2015, adding 930 m2 of state-of-the-art dressing rooms, the addition of 8,400 seats in the new East Grandstand upper deck, new standing room areas, 16 new suites, expansion of private clubs and premium spaces, a new larger HD videoboard, and a full-size canopy covering all seats with the exception of the North Grandstand. Construction was completed in phases over a two-year time period and was fully complete in 2016. The stadium currently has a capacity of 28,560, with continued infrastructure and amenity upgrades planned prior to 2026. A planned expansion to accommodate additional seating and amenities enable a capacity increase to over 45,000 to accommodate the requirements of the tournament.

BMO field starts on page 201.

For other Toronto specific stuff:
General information - 88
Accomadation - 295
Airports - 321
Transportation - 373 (Includes RER mention)
Host city fan services - 420.

http://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/united-2026-bid-book.pdf?cloudid=w3yjeu7dadt5erw26wmu

And team bases at Lamport, Cherry Beach, Downsview and Sunnybrook

The other day, from above:

DSC07012.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07012.jpg
    DSC07012.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 603
Likely temporary seating. In Brazil they had temporary seating at both ends for the Sao Paolo Stadium (Now Corinthians' home). I sat in the temporary seating and it was quite impressive (full bathrooms, shops, etc. below). That said when thousands of Argentinians started bouncing during the anthem (a tradition) I felt a little less safe!

^^^ I agree. If only it worked out for the York University site, a stadium there now with the subway extension, we would have been in better position.

However, some take to liking having a stadium with each section different than the one beside it. I just hope that a proper stadium could be revived at York University since the previously chosen site there is still available.

The York University site could have easily been expanded to 50,000 seating capacity and more.

If North America wins the bid to host the World Cup, BMO Field will be an embarrassment for this city. No offence to Toronto FC or its fans but BMO Field is just a set of glorified bleachers. It’s absolutely not a World Cup class stadium.

While agree the stadium isn't the greatest, Montreal's Olympic stadium is far more embarrassing

Back