Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

Roof looks fantastic. Anyone else bothered by how asymmetrical the east and west stands are though? Really makes for a strange look.

Pretty common in most stadiums that are expanded over the years. Incredibly expensive to demolish a full stand when it's working fine. (All photos from Google).

anfieldpast4.jpg
oldtraffordpast8.jpg
stadium-aerial1.jpg

Attachments

• anfieldpast4.jpg
    anfieldpast4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,495
  • oldtraffordpast8.jpg
    oldtraffordpast8.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,548
  • stadium-aerial1.jpg
    stadium-aerial1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,812
When you leave the English top flight (where money allows greater investment in expansions and less "ad hoc") the disparity in stand sizes gets even more dramatic.

Here is my personal fave (from stadiums I have been at) example of it

motherwell_fir_park1.jpg

Motherwell's Fir Park.

Sometimes the asymetry is also caused by heritage listings. Celtic's stadium was updated and expanded to around 60k but because the old main stand is a listed building there was not much they could do about it.

images

In the top 3 of stadiums I want to visit some day!

A friend took in a game there last month, said the atmosphere was incredible.

As for BMO's asymmetry, the roof has definitely added a semblance of symmetry there but yeah, it's a petty detail really.

The big south canopy lift is being done tomorrow morning.

In case anyone with a camera is doing nothing tomorrow morning.

Damn, won't be in the City till mid afternoon. I take it most media outlets will be there?
Yeah, Kurtis Larson tweeted press advisory sent out the news so press should be there and TFC going probably do a video

Edit: one of the writers for Waking the red (TFC site) said its going be 7:30-8 so everyone's gotta wake up nice and early tomorrow :p

Last edited:
Fascinating. I never thought building (what looks like) a simple canopy is this complex.
This should be really interesting to watch, the only thing that I think is comparable in Toronto was when they lifted the bridge connecting the two city place towers, can't think of anything else

Http://twitter.com/shawn_Jeffords

Assembled on site as one massive structure weighing over 490 metric tonnes (980,000 pounds), the south canopy will be lifted in tandem by two Mammoet lattice boom crawler cranes. With a combined lifting capacity of 1,000 metric tonnes, the two massive cranes will simultaneously lift and then crawl the 377 by 68 foot canopy from the foot of the south concourse for incorporation into the roof structure that will cover the east, west and south stands.

CbvdclDXIAEwu40.jpg

The south roof is tall. It almost looks a bridge.
IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg