Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

http://www.bloor-yorkville.com/Bloor-Street-Project-bikerackinfo.html
according to the above info, there are 80 racks over 4 blocks. That's 20 racks per block. Enough for 40 bikes per block, 160 bikes from Church to Avenue. I am sure that this is more than were presently there. I have also seen them add more along the soputh side near Club Monaco. There are also countless bike racks on Bay, Cumberland, etc, as well as a huge rack at the Manulife Centre (at Balmuto). I think there might not be enough clearance on Bloor to add more, what with the planters, benches, handwells, sewers, etc. You can't just put up more racks, it is not that simple. Plus, office towers should be genrous and give up a parking spot underground to some bike racks, that would be great!

Those trees in the picture look quite healthy to me.

That's east of Bellair Street, except for 4 or 5 trees west of Bellair the big problem with the London Plane trees are all east of Yonge Street, the first phase that were planted.

All the trees that were dead or not doing well were changed out a couple of weeks ago between Church and Yonge, all is well along there now except for one lone tree in front of the Xerox building's subway entrance. The next area to be addressed is between Yonge & Avenue Road, there are maybe three trees that have to be replaced between Yonge & Bay (in front of the Manulife Centre & Holt's) and a handful between Bay & Avenue Road - this stretch is not nearly as bad for tree failure as between Yonge & Church.
All in all, it's looking really fabulous along here by day and by night, the second planting of the year is all in now too.

Thank u very much for the update Toronto geek. From all of us who r not there to see it in person.

When will the public art come !!!

The last group of trees that didn't do so well between Avenue Road & Yonge St. have been, or soon will be, replaced. A group of bad trees at Avenue Road have been replaced and east of there to Yonge St another half dozen or so trees have been marked for removal and replacement. Lookin' good!

Getting completely fed up with that bizarre wooden arch on the sidewalk at 130 Bloor West. I assume it shelters work going on to the plumbing or cladding of the condo above the office building. This project is an endless disaster, I'm sure lawsuits are holding up progress. Its an eyesore that is now physically falling apart and partly negating the effect of the Bloor revitlization.

Does anyone know if they are watering the trees on a regular basis? It's been a dry summer yet every time I walk by, those watering bags at the base of the trees are empty, and many of the trees look like as if it's already fall with their leaves beginning to brown.

Does anyone know if they are watering the trees on a regular basis? It's been a dry summer yet every time I walk by, those watering bags at the base of the trees are empty, and many of the trees look like as if it's already fall with their leaves beginning to brown.

I think the bags are for EXTRA water, the planters all have automated watering - of course it may not be turned on!

Apparently the info that the planters had automated watering was apocryphal: they don't. A cost saving at one point? Now a contractor has the job of keeping the trees watered, and the BIA has the job of keeping the trees alive, and I wonder if the cost saving was worth it.

Apparently the info that the planters had automated watering was apocryphal: they don't. A cost saving at one point? Now a contractor has the job of keeping the trees watered, and the BIA has the job of keeping the trees alive, and I wonder if the cost saving was worth it. 42

Yes, very stupid decision; I'm actually surprised that the City approved it as their standard is for street trees and "pits" like this to be automatically watered.

Apparently the info that the planters had automated watering was apocryphal: they don't. A cost saving at one point? Now a contractor has the job of keeping the trees watered, and the BIA has the job of keeping the trees alive, and I wonder if the cost saving was worth it.

Indeed, I've seen the trucks tending to them late at night. Around mid/late June I saw them twice in one week on my late night dog walks so they're well looked after.

Back