Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

This was on Bloor W close to Yonge.
West of Bay they were filling the planters with different evergreen branches.

Attachments

• IMG_3255-1.jpg
    IMG_3255-1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 346
This was on Bloor W close to Yonge.
West of Bay they were filling the planters with different evergreen branches.

When did you take this photo? Someone mentioned flowers a week or so ago which were pulled about two weeks ago and replaced with evergreen branches along the sides of the planters.

These braches were already in the planters this past weekend..on the strech from Yonge to Bay...I guess they are now moving west of Bay street....Christmas is coming to Bloor Street :)

When did you take this photo? Someone mentioned flowers a week or so ago which were pulled about two weeks ago and replaced with evergreen branches along the sides of the planters.

Picture was taken this afternoon.

The evergreens I saw were being unloaded West of Bay but the beds were unfinished (I hope) and not worth photographing - they just covered the beds and came to a point in the middle.

Picture was taken this afternoon.

The evergreens I saw were being unloaded West of Bay but the beds were unfinished (I hope) and not worth photographing - they just covered the beds and came to a point in the middle.

Gotcha', thanks for that. I haven't been past Bay St. in a week or so, something is wrong with my legs :(

Are these temporary for Christmas? If so, why would they put in such stumpy pines?

In the December Toronto Life there is a 2 page graphic with stats on the Bloor Street makeover.

It states there are 54 flower beds and that the flowers will be replanted 4 times a year to accommodate the seasons.

So yes, the stumpy pines are temporary.

In the December Toronto Life there is a 2 page graphic with stats on the Bloor Street makeover.
I saw that illustration too. I was quite surprised on how down they were on the project, even seeming to complain about the loss of parking spots. You would think such a consumerist focused magazine would applaud such a ritzy project.
I think the reno looks amazing. I gave her a test walk the other day and was thoroughly impressed. I'd love to see it exteneded, especially north up bay st. a few blocks where the sidewalk looks ghetto. Hopefully once the disgust over the cost subsides, Torontonians might demand some respect for sidewalks and see something more than our budget (swept/brushed?) white concrete sidewalks (with maybe, if we're lucky, some coloured concrete bricks added). I think we might be one of the worlds worst (of its wealthy) cities for sidewalk neglect (Financial District landlords have the right to be particularly pissed at the city) and implementing "good enough for Canada" design. I don't like what they say about our city... except this strip of Bloor, now that's class!

I saw that illustration too. I was quite surprised on how down they were on the project, even seeming to complain about the loss of parking spots. You would think such a consumerist focused magazine would applaud such a ritzy project.
I think the reno looks amazing. I gave her a test walk the other day and was thoroughly impressed. I'd love to see it exteneded, especially north up bay st. a few blocks where the sidewalk looks ghetto. Hopefully once the disgust over the cost subsides, Torontonians might demand some respect for sidewalks and see something more than our budget (swept/brushed?) white concrete sidewalks (with maybe, if we're lucky, some coloured concrete bricks added). I think we might be one of the worlds worst (of its wealthy) cities for sidewalk neglect (Financial District landlords have the right to be particularly pissed at the city) and implementing "good enough for Canada" design. I don't like what they say about our city... except this strip of Bloor, now that's class!

Take a look at the City's new Streetscape Manual which shows what their standards are for most streets - local BIAs can then do more - as happened on Bloor. I agree it looks great. See: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/urbdesign/streetscape/index.htm

I went on a shopping spree today and spent the whole day in the area. I must say that it does make a large difference. Even though it's not finished -- with pylons scattered around and lack of trees/plantings -- it feels very polished compared to what was there. It's going to be a beauty once there's the shade and overall feel-goodness that trees bring.

Cumberland and Yorkville now look very grim in comparison. I give it a Christmas season before a joint effort is launched there too.

I agree - one of the best things about this project is the widened sidewalks. Even without the flowers and trees planted yet, it's so much better than before just because of that extra few feet of space. None of the detractors of this project ever mention this.

They did a good job of re-installing the homeless guy on the south-west corner of Bloor and Bay. At least one can now stay further away from him.

I trust that part of the BIA project will be to employ permanently two or three guys/gals with brooms and scoops to sweep up the garbage and cigarette butts that will otherwise quickly accumulate on the sidewalks, gutters and planters. Certainly this is the approach with BIAs in other cities.

Yeah, they need to do something, the open tree planters are already filling up with garbage. People are such assholes.

Back