Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

I think Dundas Street is the one most in need of a renovation/beautification and a clean up. (especially Chinatown) The last time I was in Chinatown, the smell was overwhelming.

I think Dundas Street is the one most in need of a renovation/beautification and a clean up. (especially Chinatown) The last time I was in Chinatown, the smell was overwhelming.

You may be right but you need to remember that most of the costs for redoing Bloor West were paid by the BIA not the City. I doubt strongly that most other BIAs would have the resources to do something so ambitious, and costly.

In fact the St Lawrence Market BIA is also working with the City to improve the section of Front from Jarvis east to Sherbourne (which is to get a new watermain later this year or in 2011). The BIA were responsible for the improvements to Front between Church and Jarvis a few years ago - not as expensive as those on Bloor but certainly better than the City standard.

Of course, the ultimate do-over would be Yonge St itself. It presents the greatest set of challenges but offers the biggest bang for the buck since it's the most famous and heavily used street in the country.

Interesting idea.

The Brown & Storey makeover could possibly be extended northward in conjunction with the completion of Aura. The Bloor St makeover should probably be extended a full block north & south of where it currently terminates.

But probably like you I'd love to see the king-front, college & wellesley stretches of yonge cleaned up too.

landscaping changes are coming to Front Street? Can you elaborate?

I've read about landscaping for that cement triangle at University, but that's it.

landscaping changes are coming to Front Street? Can you elaborate? I've read about landscaping for that cement triangle at University, but that's it.

There are two projects. The section near Union Station noted above http://www.toronto.ca/union_station/district_plan.htm and http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/frontunion/index.htm and an, as yet unclear, plan by the St Lawrence BIA and the City to improve Front Street east of Jarvis (probably to Sherbourne.) It is suspected that this one will either widen the north sidewalk between Jarvis and George and/or create a median in that block as a continuation of the one west of Jarvis. The street from George to Sherbourne (and further east) is probably too narrow to change much but it will all be resurfaced once the City finishes installing a new watemain and sewer in 2011.

Last edited:
There is a finally a lot of activity beginning today on the north/west corner of Church & Bloor, I wonder if work is beginning/continuing on the hydro transformer there. They also have a lane closed down.

Yeaaaa. Finally this corner is getting attention. I thought they might leave this bit to the bitter end.(Well, they kinda did.) It's been quite difficult to pass by here during pedestrian rush hours on weekdays.

One small part of Dundas gets a makeover this fall, tenders are out; for the section of sidewalk on the south side of Dundas, by the Eaton Centre (the part done when Cdn Tire was built.

This section is getting the same treatment as the area further east in the block; black granite curbs/seats, open soil with shrubs.

As part of the above tender, Bay st south of Wellesley (in front of the Opera Place bldgs) is getting a new 'bio' swale.

Basically the trees will be in a trench with open soil, and they're hoping to divert some storm water into the trench to water the plants.

There is also a larger plan for Dundas, right in the vicinity you're interested in (University to Bathurst) scheduled for work next year, see link for details:

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/dundasw/index.htm

You know what I think is indeed the most ... Queen from Yonge to University ... only that section! It's such a prominent section with city hall the four season center, future Toronto museam ? so on ... and it's pretty messed up now.

West of university is fine as is for now.

There is a finally a lot of activity beginning today on the north/west corner of Church & Bloor, I wonder if work is beginning/continuing on the hydro transformer there. They also have a lane closed down.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Work continuing today (Sunday)

I dont think any clean up or make over is going to solve the smell issue in Chinatown. Keep in mind the smell is from the massive amounts of produce being sold (and presumably the related waste) there. I dont really know if there is an easy way to get rid of the smell. Perhaps more regular washing of the streets and sidewalks would be a help - but only temporary with the ongoing market activity. Chinatown in NYC smells the exact same way...

Looking north on Spadina from Queen today it really struck me that Spadina has incredible potential to be one of Toronto's finest grand avenues with modern infill and a retail upgrade. Unfortunately, Chinatown is an obstacle to that becoming reality.

Back