Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Bike posts have been installed east of Yonge.

Bike posts have been installed east of Yonge.

I noticed them late last night when I was walking my dog. There are about 30 of them between Church Street to about 200 ft. east of Yonge. They are not the standard "O" rings, they are a tall rectangle design which rise out of the granite, usually grouped in two's. I tested them for strength and they seem firm in the ground but I'm skeptical as to how long they will last. But they look really good, perfect for Bloor Street.

The bike racks on Bloor St. East

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I usually like minimalist design, but these look unfinished, like they are just fittings that some other pieces should attach to (other than a bike, of course).

those are different bike racks. maybe they'll grow on me. i like the rest of this project so much, these bike racks are a bit of a let down.

Hmm, I quite like them I just don't believe that they'll last long.

Here's a shot that catches another detail which I think makes these bike racks look totally finished:

BloorBikeRack.jpg

Minimalism rocks.

I'll probably walk into them though, as I'm clumsy that way.

I've done that with an O-ring bicycle lockup. Things turned purple that shouldn't turn purple, I don't recommend it.

Last edited:
I hope these bike racks go really deep into the ground or physics will not work in their favor. Having walked this stretch dozens of times in the past few months I don't recall seeing any protrusions that these were then later attached to.

Back