Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

well who's fault is it when the city cleans up litter and the next day you see people littering there.

Its not the cities fault but the fault of those people and their self centered attitudes.

I made it a New Year's Resolution a few years back to not litter. Haven't littered since! (Except cigarette butts when I still smoked).

well who's fault is it when the city cleans up litter and the next day you see people littering there.

Its not the cities fault but the fault of those people and their self centered attitudes.

I hardly believe one can blame "society" for the actions of a few - which is what you originally suggested.

its not broke, it spends to much money on things a city should not fund for.

20 years ago landscaping and litter cleanup was the cities tops concern.

Crime and schools, actually. (Toronto had to fund secondary schools in those halcyon days.) I don't think landscaping has ever been a Toronto priority.

Does anyone remember the old skeleton of a church on the north side of Bloor? The one where you could walk through to get to Yorkville and you could see those big rocks from Bloor. It used to be the best part of that area and it’s a shame they developed it (I think the building with chapters/nike in it).
Does anyone remember this and if so do you have any pics you could post?

Do you mean the facade of the University cinema, which is now the Pottery Barn, and the facade next to it, which was moved to the back of the apartment building to face the Yorkville park? If so, yes. I don't remember any skeletal church.

I just read the Bloor Yorkville newsletter regarding the Bloor Street Transformation project. Phase One, Yonge Street to Church Street, Completion in 2008 followed by Phase Two Avenue Road to Yonge Street, Completion in 2009.
I find it odd that Yonge to Church, was chosen as the first phase. That part of Bloor Street has much less pedestrian traffic than Yonge to Avenue Road and construction of 1 Bloor East will be starting soon which will add confusion and complexity to that section of the Street. So I guess the local BIA is resigned to yet another summer tourist season with a crappy looking Bloor Street. Go figure??

Probably has to do with the necessary watermain and Hydro work having been completed along the eastern leg first. As we know from St Clair (and every other attempt, ever, to do streetscaping in Toronto), the utilities don't always play ball. At least this way the fancy paving treatment won't be partially torn up and replaced with strips of asphalt for a couple of years or so.

I hate it when utility companies tear up pretty paving stones and then replace it with asphalt. Looks terrible and screams CHEAP! Not what you want on Bloor Street.

And I also find it odd doing the part of Bloor right beside 1 Bloor East! Won't there be like tons of trucks using Bloor to transport materials for the building?

According to the newsletter the water mains are in place along the entire stretch of Bloor Street slated for revitalization. And yes, one can only assume the trucks and heavy equipment required for 1 Bloor East will have a deleterious affect on the new paving.
The plans to fix up Bloor Street are at least 10 years old and are being financed through a $20 million loan from the city to the Bloor Yorkville BIA which is to be repaid (if ever) in 25 years. And a $5 million city grant.
I'll be watching this project closely.

I hate it when utility companies tear up pretty paving stones and then replace it with asphalt. Looks terrible and screams CHEAP! Not what you want on Bloor Street.

And I also find it odd doing the part of Bloor right beside 1 Bloor East! Won't there be like tons of trucks using Bloor to transport materials for the building?

Tell me about it... in Belgrade (read BELGRADE) when infrastructure works require the above ground pavement (and all of Belgrade's inner city streets have fancy sidewalk paving) to be torn up, the contractors immediately repair the paving, to its original look.

Guess we have something to learn from the Balkans afterall.

We have something to learn about building cities from a lot of less-prominent places...

Not to say that lots of cities don't get sidewalks torn up for utility work and shoddily replaced; you see this in London all the time, and sometimes in New York as well. But in areas designated, as it were, as showcases, there need to be higher standards.

Back