Toronto Bisha Hotel and Residences | 146.91m | 44s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Ah, that damn angular plane principle :rolleyes:
Many thanks Solaris for the explanations.

City Planning Final Report

I wonder if the developers are going to appeal this decision to reduce the building height from 142m to 120m to the OMB? (even though the original approval they had was only 62m)

To be considered by the Toronto & East York Community Council on October 13, 2009:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23830.pdf

This application proposes a 41-storey (142 m) mixed use building with a five-storey podium incorporating the east facing heritage façade, and a 36-storey tower containing hotel and residential units at 56 Blue Jays Way.

This report reviews the application and recommends that the proposal be approved subject to a reduction in height to 120 m inclusive of mechanical penthouse and elevator/stair overrun.

The proposal’s current height of 142 m inclusive of mechanical penthouse/
elevator overrun remains inappropriate within the framework of the King Spadina Built Form Study, which recommends a Second Tier height of 90 m for this site. The Second Tier height is based on a recognition of both the general trend of decreasing height from University to Spadina Avenue and from Front Street to Queen Street, as well as the immediately local context of 60-70 m tall buildings to the south, and recent OMB and Committee of Adjustment approvals allowing buildings of approximately 120 m to the north. This report therefore recommends that the Zoning By-law Amendment application be approved subject to a reduction in height to no more than 120 m inclusive of mechanical penthouse and elevator/stair overrun.

Such a sad project. I wish the refusal would stand and they would decide to re-open the theatre. It certainly added a lot more to the neighbourhood.

I only hope when it does get built, they leave the old frontage as some sort of restaurant. I've always thought that empty space is crying out for another large patio.

This application proposes a 41-storey (142 m) mixed use building with a five-storey podium incorporating the east facing heritage façade, and a 36-storey tower containing hotel and residential units at 56 Blue Jays Way.

So this is two buildings? That's the way they make it sound.

it sounds pretty clear to me:

Original Proposal: 5 storey podium + 36 storey tower = 41 storey building (142 metre)

City Proposal: Shorten the building to 120 metre (approx. 35 storeys?)

Oh I see. The wording was a bit confusing in the last part of the sentence where they say "and a 36=storey tower", after it already said a 41-storey tower. I figured it was just the way I was reading it.

I wonder, if pressure was put towards the city to force builders to include theatres in their plans. Maybe the theatres can stay open. It's the entertainment district after all. If all entertainment components were pushed out of the area, it wouldn't be an entertainment anymore. I think some people buy into the area because they want to live near entertainment. eg) spend more time with the familly taking them out to ball games, plays, movies, shopping etc. Less time travelling and looking for parking spaces.

I wonder, if pressure was put towards the city to force builders to include theatres in their plans. Maybe the theatres can stay open. It's the entertainment district after all. If all entertainment components were pushed out of the area, it wouldn't be an entertainment anymore. I think some people buy into the area because they want to live near entertainment. eg) spend more time with the familly taking them out to ball games, plays, movies, shopping etc. Less time travelling and looking for parking spaces.

I'm all for encouraging mixed use, but I'm unconvinced that Toronto can support another theatre. We already have the Princess of Wales and the Royal Alexandra, a third theatre would be nice, but demand would have to grow some more first.

I'm all for encouraging mixed use, but I'm unconvinced that Toronto can support another theatre. We already have the Princess of Wales and the Royal Alexandra, a third theatre would be nice, but demand would have to grow some more first.

Toronto can support 4 major league sports teams, 5 new 5 star hotels, i have no doubts we can support a couple more theatres.

Oct 11

IMG_oct-11-09-0137.jpg

IMG_oct-11-09-0139.jpg

IMG_oct-11-09-0140.jpg

We already have well over three theatres. Last I checked we were third in the amount of musical theatre after London and NYC. Some others include Massey Hall, Ford Centre, Panasonic theatre, and I am sure I am missing some. Would be nice to keep our existing ones as well as add some.

What? The city is already supporting more theatres than the two you mentioned.

Also, the Diesel Playhouse catered to a completely different kind of audience than either of those theatres.

I recall they planed to move somewhere near the L tower location.

We already have well over three theatres. Last I checked we were third in the amount of musical theatre after London and NYC. Some others include Massey Hall, Ford Centre, Panasonic theatre, and I am sure I am missing some. Would be nice to keep our existing ones as well as add some.

to add to the already mentioned list of massey hall, the ford centre, the panosonic, the royal alex and the princess of wales,

other major venues include: the elgin, the canon, the young centre (in the distillery district), the hummingbird (sony centre), the st. lawrence, roy thompson, the toronto centre for arts (in north york) and the second city theatre

anyway! sad to see the diesel go. i see potential for another theatre in a few years as the condo forest south of front continues to spread like wildfire (ironic?). it would be great to see former industrial areas around southern spadina and bathurst play host to this sort of venue.

Back