Toronto Birchley Park | 46.2m | 12s | Diamond Kilmer | TACT Architecture

A Member Motion to the next meeting of City Council hints at pending construction as it seeks to obtain approval for transfer of the 'Affordable Ownership' block from proponent Diamond Kilmer to Habitat for Humanity:

From the above:

1679681429474.png

3AC8112F-8750-4F85-8F56-E1A6CD0E82CE.jpeg
This 1000 unit development is really well placed. 5 minutes from ‘Main street’ retail on Kingston Road complete with a beige baby store, big box retail across the street and the subway five minutes north.
DF380692-F794-4239-9E17-D51286E8E0BF.jpeg
Photos taken 8 April.
048B630A-2383-439B-AD13-C5EB9288BB90.jpeg

Habitat for Humanity will deliver affordable housing to the site through a 58-unit townhome block and a 124-unit mid-rise block that will be conveyed back to the City of Toronto to execute on.

There will be 870 units of market-priced housing developed over three phases at Birchley Park.

Condominium units, ranging in size from 374-square-foot junior one-bedrooms to 921-square-foot three-bedrooms, at the 12-storey Birchley Park 1 are on sale now. Occupancy is targeted for late 2026.

“Subsequent phases will be a function of the market timeline and absorption, but we're hoping they’ll follow shortly thereafter,” Diamond said. “All of the site infrastructure, including the park land, is tracking on the same timeline as Birchley Park 1, so this will be a livable community right away.”

New Site Plan submission is in for the Townhomes being done by Habitat for Humanity.

Not sure if @interchange42 will want to keep this together w/the main thread for the community or separate it out.

Distinct architect from the thread title in Raw. 62 Townhouse Units. Height 3s/12M Parking is 32 spaces or just shy of 0.5 per unit.

Link:

1706779837336.png

1706780032064.png

1706780065740.png

1706779983808.png

1706780344394.png

@Paclo

New Site Plan submission is in for the Townhomes being done by Habitat for Humanity.

Not sure if @interchange42 will want to keep this together w/the main thread for the community or separate it out.

Distinct architect from the thread title in Raw. 62 Townhouse Units. Height 3s/12M Parking is 32 spaces or just shy of 0.5 per unit.

Link:

View attachment 536923

View attachment 536925

View attachment 536926
View attachment 536924
View attachment 536927

@Paclo
I think that @Paclo will want a separate DB file for it, and probably other blocks here, and will likely set up a Master-Project, Sub-Project set of database files, but I think that we'll probably want to keep everything in this thread. When access to a site is only from the periphery during construction, we'll never be able to keep the photos separate.

Using a screenshot of TwinHuey's drone shot to visualize what I mean, what are the chances they'll widen the road under the train tracks here to permit bike lanes for those trying to head north to Victoria Park station from this development? And if it's not planned for, who would I bug to consider it? It is currently quite intimidating to bike through this section.
Screenshot_20240317-105226.png

Using a screenshot of TwinHuey's drone shot to visualize what I mean, what are the chances they'll widen the road under the train tracks

Pretty close to zero.

here to permit bike lanes for those trying to head north to Victoria Park station from this development? And if it's not planned for, who would I bug to consider it? It is currently quite intimidating to bike through this section.

Cycle Tracks here are contemplated, by cutting Victoria Park Avenue to 1 lane each way plus turning lanes.

The City has been looking more at the section from Crescent Town Road to Danforth in the near term, but it has been shared w/staff that I think going to Gerrard in one motion would make sense.

VP is already one lane each way south of Gerrard and north of VP subway station, so a its a fairly short stretch with the extra lanes, using that space for expanded left turn lanes and/or a right turn lane at Danforth would better serve traffic flow than the current arrangement and provide room for cycle tracks.

There would be a slight pinch at the Danforth intersection, but its workable.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this development get built as it helps bridge in the gap between the mixed-use area north of the train tracks with the older residential area south of Gerrard.

Agree, though until the big box plazas/Loblaws/Gas Station sites are tackled it will still feel a bit hostile.

Using a screenshot of TwinHuey's drone shot to visualize what I mean, what are the chances they'll widen the road under the train tracks here to permit bike lanes for those trying to head north to Victoria Park station from this development? And if it's not planned for, who would I bug to consider it? It is currently quite intimidating to bike through this section.
View attachment 548915
Agreed. With approximately 1,000 new units in this development, I'm sure that many more cyclists will want access to Danforth.

Cycling under that bridge is nasty. We go out of our way to avoid it.

While you are pushing for a solution, it would be appreciated if you put in a good word for the Danforth Kingston Complete Street initiative. :)

Back