Toronto Beyond The Sea | ?m | 44s | Empire | Richmond Architects

From Today...
20100725A083.jpg

20100725A078.jpg

20100725A085.jpg

Empire has topped off a tower, their 26-storey first phase, at Beyond The Sea.

A barbeque lunch was held Friday - thankfully indoors to avoid the early day rain - to celebrate the milestone!

BeyondTheSea04.jpg

BeyondTheSea05.jpg

From the ground floor site of the party, we could see into the pit where the third phase, the 44-storey Star Tower, is being built:

BeyondTheSea01.jpg

BeyondTheSea02.jpg

BeyondTheSea03.jpg

Soon, it was time to hop into the construction hoists to ascend to the 23rd floor for the ceremony:

BeyondTheSea14.jpg

BeyondTheSea15.jpg

BeyondTheSea13.jpg

Amongst Empire's management and partners pictured above, are executives Andrew Guizzetti, Paul Golini Sr., Dan Guizetti and Paul Golini Jr., pictured here:

BeyondTheSea12.jpg

The views from Beyond The Sea, maybe unsurprisingly, are spectacular. They include views over the lush Humber Bay Parks at the mouth of the Mimico Creek across to Toronto's Skyline:

BeyondTheSea16.jpg

BeyondTheSea07.jpg

BeyondTheSea11.jpg

BeyondTheSea10.jpg

Here's the Star Tower site from above:

BeyondTheSea06.jpg

And Phase 2 which will rise to 37 storeys:

BeyondTheSea08.jpg

South and west from the complex you can see Marina del Rey and Grand Harbour.

BeyondTheSea09.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics guys, the view will be great from up top!

Haven't seen any plans yet, I've left a message with Mike at the City over a month ago and never heard back. Didn't think it was going to be this hard to look at the construction set...

Has anyone went in to pick their finishes yet?

I believe Mike McCart has transferred to another district ... you may want to try and give Shelly Tulloch a call @ 416.394.8208 ... I'm not 100% sure if she's the planner on this file though, check with her ~

Thanks Six Points! You have a new POV for UT on many projects - the photos are appreciated.

32 years after the E.I. Richmond-designed Palace Pier brought high-rise to Etobicoke's Humber Bay Shores area, Richmond's architecture is rising in the neighbourhood again, this time by the west end of the lakeside strip. Beyond The Sea is a three tower complex being developed by Empire Communities which will sit on the west side of Mimico Creek where it empties into our great lake through maturing naturalized headlands.

BTS3BuildingRenderingCrop750.jpg

The towers will be 26, 37 and 44 stories tall, and the 26-storey north tower is now topping out, while the 37-storey south tower is quickly climbing towards its top..

BTSP1190304.jpg

BTSP1190307.jpg

BTSP1190328.jpg

The towers sit on a 4-storey podium...

BTSP1190313.jpg

which will provide high-ceilinged Colonnade Suites on the third and fourth floors...

BTSColonnadeSuites750.jpg

and 2-storey Live-Work Units with client access from the street at ground level.

BTSLive-Works750.jpg

On the Mimico Creek side 4-storey Urban Towns will take advantage of the riverine parkland setting with patios, balconies, and extensive third floor decks. The units will be connected to the underground garage at their basement level.

BTSUrbanTownsCropped750.jpg

Inside, the complex will feature extensive and refined amenities including an inviting lobby and central atrium.

BTSLobby750.jpg

BTSAtrium750.jpg

The podium will feature The Blue Water Club, whose lengthy list of amenities will include a huge party room and a welcoming pool.

BTSBlueWaterClub.jpg

BTSPartyRoom750.jpg

BTSPool750.jpg

The podium's rooftop will also feature extensive outdoor amenities.

BTSTerrace.jpg

BTSRooftop750.jpg

Meanwhile, construction continues on the project. Here Star Tower, the third and tallest tower, has just reached ground level.

BTSP1190315.jpg

Up top of the North Tower work progresses on the first of the peaked roofs.

BTSP1190303.jpg

BTSP1190327.jpg

When all is complete, most residents of the complex will enjoy views like this.

BeyondTheSea16.jpg

Last edited:
Other than the impressive height and density, I think the best feature of this development is the hefty podium, whose design is defiantly urban in an area alien to it. This one is a game changer for Humber Bay Shores and will set the standard for the rest to follow, and indeed they have - all the other upcoming projects have similarly strong nods to urbanism.

Where exactly is the sea from which these towers are beyond? The Inland Sea of Ontario? The architecture is mediocre at best. The roofcaps are gimmicky.

Last edited:
Okay, repeating this from my Home Page article posting for those with a littoral (ba-dum-dum) ((sorry)) view of condo names:

I think that for those who live inland from the ocean, but not on one of the Great Lakes, that Lake Ontario and the other four are far bigger lakes than most other people normally experience, and that it is not too much of a stretch to think of these particular lakes as inland seas. It would never have hit me that way until first time visitors to TO from the Midwest (they hadn't even been to Chicago to see Lake Michigan at that point) told me "I can't believe you call this a lake!"

So, granted, it's still a bit poetic and romantic to think of Lake Ontario as a sea, and the poetry and romanticism becomes gimmicky in the hands of marketers... but big frickin' deal. Why not celebrate the fact that your condo is on the water? Most getting built close to it do, and they are all scrambling over one another to differentiate themselves from the others, so the theming is going to go in ways slightly skewed from the others. Since we're so often so down on Lake Ontario ('ewww, I would never swim in that') marketers import positive associations with water from elsewhere. Here they're going with the sea, a few blocks away another development is going whole-hog with Ocean Club (hands up, baby).

When it comes down to it, you check out the incredible views of the city these units will have over the Humber Bay parks and the lake, and they could call this place Coromandel* Dreams and I would forgive them.

* New Zealand, off of Auckland, look it up...

Some clarification regarding the podium units at Beyond The Sea:

There will be commercial/retail units spanning the entire Lake Shore side; from Legion Road to the creek bridge, the first floor will be walk-up retail with the second floor being office space. The third and fourth floors are residential "Colonnade" units mentioned in the previous lengthy post. Empire has not sold any of the retail at this time, but will do shortly. The Live/work units will comprise the first two floors of the North Tower (phase 1) along Legion Road.

Just to go with that, let's add another shot of Beyond The Sea from across Lake Shore at Legion Road:

BTS1pano.jpg

Back