Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

This really is looking very promising. My cynical fears about future maintenance eat away at the enjoyment some........but it's really nice to see quality design and finishes.

I have this sad thought that they're going to put in those awful standard garbage bins........about which something must be done......... There really has to be a less ugly design that City trucks can lift.

A square/rectangular can w/metal slats or panels, painted black/or dark blue should be possible to add some handles/brackets to, so that we can ditch the hideous plastic things.........(sorry for the OT rant)

Barbara Hall Park (formally Cawthra Park) is a stone throw from where I live. It was redone and reopened two years ago, the grass is ruined for several weeks after being closed off for a beer garden during Pride, this year it hasn't recovered due to little rainfall, the LED lights were vandalized in the spring and now aren't working at all, the tiled walkways are a mess, graffiti is a problem and now drug users have taken it over and locals avoid it due to so many violent encounters and open drug use. In fact, the whole neighbourhood has gone to hell in the last couple of years. I hope this park fares better, it's really looking great.

Barbara Hall Park will always be difficult to occupy - the 519 serves the homeless population that mostly occupy the park.

Barbara Hall Park (formally Cawthra Park) is a stone throw from where I live. It was redone and reopened two years ago, the grass is ruined for several weeks after being closed off for a beer garden during Pride, this year it hasn't recovered due to little rainfall, the LED lights were vandalized in the spring and now aren't working at all, the tiled walkways are a mess, graffiti is a problem and now drug users have taken it over and locals avoid it due to so many violent encounters and open drug use. In fact, the whole neighbourhood has gone to hell in the last couple of years. I hope this park fares better, it's really looking great.

I was planning to call Wong-Tam about that next week but I was in the Village tonight and surprise, the lights were working. (both sets of lights too) Those vibrant colours looked good and I was very happy to see that!

Last edited:
Berczy is fortunate as it is in a neigbourhood (St Lawrence) that has a very active BIA who spend lots of $$ and time on neighbourhood beautification, a neighbourhood association (SLNA) and Berczy also has a "Friends Group". No doubt we will all need to be vigilant but the planning for the new park involved all these groups and many individuals and one of the lenses through which the design was viewed was "on-going maintenance".

August 24, 2016

IMG_1068.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,203
Grabbed a few shots today.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 862
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    961.6 KB · Views: 828
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 830
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 833
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    926 KB · Views: 816
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    812.9 KB · Views: 824
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    951.3 KB · Views: 814
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    914.8 KB · Views: 807
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    930.5 KB · Views: 844
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    891.8 KB · Views: 812
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    988.7 KB · Views: 803
I like this statue. I guess it isn't new, but it is still nice.
Yes, it is the Berczy Family and it used to be rather hidden near Scott Street. Here is the info on all the art in Berczy:

" Existng artwork: The Derek Bassant mural on the Flatiron Bldg will be maintained, with encroaching trees trimmed or felled to improve art sight lines. The small Berczy Family sculpture will be relocated to a spot adjacent to the mural garden.

New artwork: A new public artwork chosen through The City of Toronto art procurement process and a community judging panel will be located in the green activity area, to create a children’s space. The interactive artwork, “Jacob’s Ladder,” will, in the words of Toronto artist Luis Jacob: “Connect to children as well as adult visitors. Two large bronze hands emerge from the ground and reach into the sky like growing trees, holding between their fingers a lattice of ropes reminiscent of children’s string games, inviting children to climb and play with the sculpture.”

This new children's sculpture will apparently be installed in spring 2017.

Back