Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

Aside from the flowerbeds closer to the flatiron and the pedestrianization of Scott, I think this was a negative move. I loved the old curvilinear brick retaining walls, varying topography, and canopy provided by the old trees.

They basically leveled the whole thing, stripped out half of the mature trees, carved up the patterning into 1990s parallelograms, and installed some interesting tiling and a kitschy fountain. The result (at least and maybe especially now, in the winter) looks far less luxuriant and comfortable, and is completely devoid of the oasitic quality that made the old design so magnetic. I'll wait til the summer to issue a final damnation and I might be totally missing something but this looks like landscaping that went unused for a suburban community centre.

And yeah, I'm not insistent on traditional aesthetics necessarily but that fountain is a hideous piece of art.

My views and my recollections are completely opposite yours. I thought the old layout was worn out, not cared for, uninteresting and a magnet for undesirable elements.

Today and even more so tomorrow as word of the changes spread I expect this park to be a huge attraction for tourists, neighbors and families. It's a home-run for downtown. However, if nostalgia continues to tug at your heart wander over to David Crombie Park. It has all the brick and mud and concrete charms you're pining for.

Aside from the flowerbeds closer to the flatiron and the pedestrianization of Scott, I think this was a negative move. I loved the old curvilinear brick retaining walls, varying topography, and canopy provided by the old trees.

They basically leveled the whole thing, stripped out half of the mature trees, carved up the patterning into 1990s parallelograms, and installed some interesting tiling and a kitschy fountain. The result (at least and maybe especially now, in the winter) looks far less luxuriant and comfortable, and is completely devoid of the oasitic quality that made the old design so magnetic. I'll wait til the summer to issue a final damnation and I might be totally missing something but this looks like landscaping that went unused for a suburban community centre.

And yeah, I'm not insistent on traditional aesthetics necessarily but that fountain is a hideous piece of art.

So long story short you're basic and you like ugly parks in the city. Cool.

Last edited:
The Sommerville construction guys are back in Berczy today playing with the dogs and the fountain. All the loose ends should be sorted out soon and I understand that the official opening will occur in May - by which time the children's play area/sculpture will be installed, the fountain will be working and the lighting of the Flatiron mural sorted out (at the moment it is off as the light is too diffuse.)

At first glance, the fountain is hideous, no doubt about it. Calling it whimsical would be overly generous. But we'll see the overall effect when it is turned on and the park is completed.

At first glance, the fountain is hideous, no doubt about it. Calling it whimsical would be overly generous. But we'll see the overall effect when it is turned on and the park is completed.
A suggest you glance again - and glance at the people looking at it and photographing it.

A suggest you glance again - and glance at the people looking at it and photographing it.

I know - what people find whimsical in it I find childish and annoying, but that's fine, it's not a major issue!

Yeah fam, totally basic. Yaassss. Ugly parks fam.

I stand by my assessment. Maybe I'll come around and enjoy the zany dog fountain. It's just so fun!

I mean your comment is so cringey. It's fine cause I be slaying all you dusty hoes. Sigh bye basics ✨✨

Woof (times 21).

Bernzy-1.jpg

Bernzy-2.jpg

Bernzy-3.jpg

Bernzy-4.jpg

Attachments

• Bernzy-1.jpg
    Bernzy-1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 516
  • Bernzy-2.jpg
    Bernzy-2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 399