Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

The upper two pics are interesting too, in that they show that what were are building now is not the second iteration of a park on this site, but a third. When did the fountain and the other modifications go in to create the second version?

Excellent point. Attached is a tender notice for the fountain from 1983, which I believe is 2 years after the park opened.
BerczyParkTender1983.PNG

Attachments

• BerczyParkTender1983.PNG
    BerczyParkTender1983.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,562
The upper two pics are interesting too, in that they show that what were are building now is not the second iteration of a park on this site, but a third. When did the fountain and the other modifications go in to create the second version?

After looking through some more old photos it appears there was another iteration. After the parking lot but before the first round of extensive landscaping (and before the mural).

BuildingBerczyPark(2).jpg

Attachments

• BuildingBerczyPark(2).jpg
    BuildingBerczyPark(2).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,563
Razz, your commentary to your 3rd picture above is hilarious! :) Thanks for the updates!

What a terrific string the recent posts are! I had no idea of the transformation that this neighbourhood had undergone. I wonder what interesting new park designs will eventually replace the current one under construction? Water fountains with high-tech life-like holograms? Time will tell.

I wonder what interesting new park designs will eventually replace the current one under construction? Water fountains with high-tech life-like holograms? Time will tell.

Eh? Maybe it's just me, but I'm taking this park design to be final for the foreseeable future, making discussion of future park designs moot. That being said, if in 2050 my park time involves holograms, I'm officially leaving urban centers and moving to the BC interior.

I did a study on that space (berczy park) when I studied landscape architecture at Ryerson. That was 1980-84. I remember the park being built but can't recall when the fountain went in either.

Park is coming along nice. I remember a few years back sitting there and having Getty Lee walk right past me then com back and sit next to me. Took me several minutes to realize who he was at the time. Great place to people watch.

Yes, after the photo was taken they were put into a temporary trench at the Scott Street side of the park - let's hope they get them (and the rest) planted in their final locations soon. They seem to be getting on quite well with the Silva cell installation along Front Street so things are certainly moving ahead.

Park is coming along nice. I remember a few years back sitting there and having Getty Lee walk right past me then com back and sit next to me. Took me several minutes to realize who he was at the time. Great place to people watch.

When you make a reference to God, please spell his name right.
It's Geddy.

Ps. I am a bass player.... and a Rush fan.. and apparently a lame-o. :)

Back