Toronto Beltline Yards | ?m | ?s | Hullmark | Allies and Morrison

Well, I think @AlexBozikovic likes this one.............LOL

From the article linked above:

1696600829994.png

Overall, 1.7M ft2 proposed.

I always encourage people to follow the link and read Alex's article on the Globe site, so I will keep my quotes to a minimum, but this one is noteworthy:

1696600951453.png

Overall architecture is inspired by Toronto Industrial (heritage)

I will share the renders:

1696601110505.png

1696601136603.png

1696601158963.png

Based on what I'm seeing, I agree with Alex' take here.

This looks extremely promising.

Allies and Morrison also have an exceptionally good track record.

Very encouraging.

Based on what I'm seeing, I agree with Alex' take here.

This looks extremely promising.

Allies and Morrison also have an exceptionally good track record.

Very encouraging.
I was just looking through their work and I was thinking this looks similar to Vauxhall here in London, and sure enough they worked on it. They also worked on the new public space and planning around King's Cross, which is a fantastic space that reflects an industrial past.

Let's hope it doesn't undergo the Toronto cheapening too much.

This proposal is a very refreshing change of pace from SmartCentres’ uninspired redevelopment plan for the Canadian Tire plaza to the southwest. The use of colour, the massing, the public spaces, and the mix of uses are wonderful features, though I’d want to see the existing building’s 1930s facade retained and preserved on site. Let’s hope the proposal doesn’t get watered down as it goes through the development pipeline.

I was just looking through their work and I was thinking this looks similar to Vauxhall here in London, and sure enough they worked on it. They also worked on the new public space and planning around King's Cross, which is a fantastic space that reflects an industrial past.

Let's hope it doesn't undergo the Toronto cheapening too much.
Was just in London and saw this first hand, it was amazing. Glad to see a similar development in Toronto.

I remember the city wanting to protect The Castlefield Design District from development and keep it an employment area.

There is nowhere in the city limits for these types of businesses to go, we are already losing The Golden Mile to residential development.

A valid concern. The fact of the matter is that land in many areas of the city is just too valuable nowadays for low-density industrial/commercial uses.

For what it's worth, the airport employment lands will probably always stay low-rise industrial, because of height limits as well as noise concerns preventing residential development.

As for the retail component of the Castlefield Design District, the city will always have plenty of those types of stores, the problem is the inefficient land use here.

I remember the city wanting to protect The Castlefield Design District from development and keep it an employment area.

There is nowhere in the city limits for these types of businesses to go, we are already losing The Golden Mile to residential development.

This project is supposed to have a light-industrial component, which is relatively innovative. A good portion of the businesses in the area could operate from spaces in mixed-use developments. The developers just need to do a good job of designing those commercial spaces and the requisite servicing areas, so that they don't cause issues for the residents above.

In line with what Undead said, I wonder how city staff will react to the inevitable proposals on this plot of sfh? If the land between Sheppard West and the 401, just east of Yonge, is any indication these lots will start getting sold enmasse once the first project gets thru.
1697379599347.png

Would not be shocked if in a few years staff release a secondary plan allowing for intensification within the Eg West/Beltline strip. Relatively isolated from surrounding residential and will only have increasing development pressure as GO RER comes on line. Maybe Eg West will get its very own Davisville. One can dream......
1697379775584.png

Back