Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

Is anyone else surprised by the extent of alterations to the BA1 elements for the construction of BA2? I had assumed that the PATH level just had some knock-out panels that could be opened up when BA2 was ready, but instead it looks like a construction zone down there with temporary walls and plastic sheeting. It also looks like the plaza is going to be destroyed as a BA2 staging zone.

It's all very unexpected to see stuff that's only a couple of years old get destroyed for a project everyone knew was coming as soon as they could find tenants.

I'm guessing that the plaza is sitting in pieces somewhere and will be restored after the new tower is completed. Did any one witness how it was removed?

It remains in place. The turf from the centre and the plants were removed from the east side, and everything was covered by several layers of plywood.

In the PATH, the luggage store and what I can only describe from the outside as a teenage lingerie store (it feels wrong just typing that) seemed to only last a few months before being boarded up for the pending construction. I wonder what type of compensation they got. I also wonder who on earth thinks a luggage store is a good business idea in the first place. Perhaps being kicked out was the best thing that could have happened.

In the PATH, the luggage store and what I can only describe from the outside as a teenage lingerie store (it feels wrong just typing that) seemed to only last a few months before being boarded up for the pending construction. I wonder what type of compensation they got. I also wonder who on earth thinks a luggage store is a good business idea in the first place. Perhaps being kicked out was the best thing that could have happened.

Given that both parties were well aware the development of the property was imminent, it was probably well covered in the lease. Often the landlord can terminate the lease on a certain amount of notice for the purposes of redeveloping the property. There may be a provision that the tenant can be relocated to a similar location owned by the landlord with some kind of rent abatement during the fixturing of the new store.

Given that both parties were well aware the development of the property was imminent, it was probably well covered in the lease. Often the landlord can terminate the lease on a certain amount of notice for the purposes of redeveloping the property. There may be a provision that the tenant can be relocated to a similar location owned by the landlord with some kind of rent abatement during the fixturing of the new store.
I'm quite positive this is the case. They were all national chains, so they would have walked into this with their eyes open.

Parking garage entrance from Adelaide St will close January 14 until April 14, 2013.
I wonder if they can wrap up demolition within 3 months?

Panorama of the site from this afternoon:

GS0kaSt.jpg

Click here for a larger version

There was also a Carlton Cards store lost in the transition. The "teenage lingerie" store wasn't really a lingerie store, it was Ardene, an accessories store (lately they seem to be expanding into more clothing)--although I never thought it was that great a fit for the PATH's demographic. The luggage store also carried purses, wallets, and a variety of bags--I can't remember which chain it was, but it was one of those that have several locations in the PATH and which seem to do OK.

Looks like they're starting to break ground into the parking garage this morning.
bac2-2013-jan22.jpg

Attachments

• bac2-2013-jan22.jpg
    bac2-2013-jan22.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 467
Re: Ardene. I know it's a bit off-topic, but let's remember that women also work in offices and sometimes they need to dash out to replace accessories that have become lost or are forgotten, or they want to blow off steam at lunch by looking at random cheap things they could buy. It's a perfect fit for the no-place that is PATH retail.

Back