Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

Will be interesting to see the porcelain ventilated panels on the spine. Is this the first time these have been used on a condo here? I don't recall hearing of another.

Backstage Construction Update – February 6 – 12, 2016
February 5, 2016 by EN Consulting Group Leave a comment

This is the construction schedule for 1 The Esplanade, Backstage condominium – for February 6 – 12, 2016

Exterior work is focussed on the podium and the tower as cladding and glazing are being installed. Access to the building from Yonge Street will open soon, with the removal of material from the site and the addition of paved walkways. Access to the parking garage lobby will be opened from The Esplanade. Occasional deliveries occur as needed with minimal impact on the street or traffic flows. Work continues on the interior of the building readying suites for occupancy; in particular penthouse suites are still being finished prior to the installation of kitchens and appliances. The first move-ins to Backstage are expected this month.
Please check back at ltowerconstructioninfo.com for updates.

Love the idea of this project, but really feel like the main tower design never came together properly ( ie. white panels on black that look like giant pixels ).

To be honest I think this project came together a lot better then it's neighbor (the L Tower), and that's something I never would've said 3-4 years ago.

Agree.. they are moving quickly on this project. Occupancy started in Feb 2016 and common halls are done and the lobby is taking shape. I was in L Tower a week ago and looks like they're close to finishing the lobby (1.5 years). I have to also note the common areas at L Tower look amazing.

Anyone know if there's still a PATH connection coming for this project?
It has been discussed further up but the answer is "yes, one day". It will run through the proposed 45/141 Bay buildings and across Yonge to link into an already built public space on level 2 (?) of Backstage. This will, apparently, be some sort of public gallery until it becomes a PATHway.

A couple pics from the weekend. It had been a while since I'd been right at-grade down here, and I'd forgotten what an awful pedestrian experience it is immediately to the west here. I'm surprised they opted to put the entrances to both this and the L Tower where they did. On the bright side, the podium actually has some more interesting design elements than I'd envisioned from the renders.

upload_2016-4-18_11-38-35.png

upload_2016-4-18_11-38-42.png

upload_2016-4-18_11-38-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-18_11-38-35.png
    upload_2016-4-18_11-38-35.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,061
  • upload_2016-4-18_11-38-42.png
    upload_2016-4-18_11-38-42.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,091
  • upload_2016-4-18_11-38-50.png
    upload_2016-4-18_11-38-50.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,091
Anyone know if there's still a PATH connection coming for this project?

It has been discussed further up but the answer is "yes, one day". It will run through the proposed 45/141 Bay buildings and across Yonge to link into an already built public space on level 2 (?) of Backstage. This will, apparently, be some sort of public gallery until it becomes a PATHway.

There is some indication that this would connect to the 1-7 Yonge site too.

The PATH route to 1-7 Bay is from the ACC to Bay Park Centre, then crossing over Yonge between 18 Yonge and the Railway corridor, then turning to cross over Lake Shore and the Gardiner, and into the second level of 7 Yonge cluster. There is no bridge nor pedestrian tunnel in the most current architectural plans to connect to the 1 Yonge building cluster on the south side of Herbour Street.

The PATH route to 1-7 Bay is from the ACC to Bay Park Centre, then crossing over Yonge between 18 Yonge and the Railway corridor, then turning to cross over Lake Shore and the Gardiner, and into the second level of 7 Yonge cluster. There is no bridge nor pedestrian tunnel in the most current architectural plans to connect to the 1 Yonge building cluster on the south side of Herbour Street.

Referring to this:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-hariri-pontarini.17920/page-122#post-1110626

The Church Street tunnel being referred to in that post is more of a Planning Department wish list item, than an accepted part of the PATH expansion plan.

The first thing about the Church tunnel is that neither a transportation planning study nor a simple cost study has been undertaken yet, whether for an actual extension of Church Street itself, presumably with a link to Cooper Street, or whether it would just be a pedestrian and cycle tunnel. Either would be expensive—especially if it were to be a road tunnel—more so than a tunnel from the foot of Lower Market Street, of example, as there is a complicated parking garage in the way as well as the railway berm.

In regards to the possibility of any tunnel extending from the end of Church Street, it would come out to Lake Shore across from the LCBO Lands, not the 1-7 Yonge Lands, as it's further east.

Back