Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

Odd that they would remove any tracks this close to Union Station. Wouldn't there be a chance they might need land here in the future?

The tracks that are being removed never went to Union Station. They went where the GO Bus terminal is now. I think the tracks that are going through union now are the most there will ever be.

^It's great to see that the building/parking between SAS Canada's building and TCHC's 501 Adelaide is up for redevelopment

The tracks that are being removed never went to Union Station. They went where the GO Bus terminal is now. I think the tracks that are going through union now are the most there will ever be.

They went into the express fright shed where GO Bus terminal is now. The same thing happen at Simcoe underpass. If you look at the wall of the hotel, you can see where it connected to the shed.

The only way you can get more tracks at Union is to go underground and Metrolinx is looking at that.

I'd rather see a park / square here with a small 1-2 story restaurant built along the south side to frame the site. A tower ruins the view of the flatiron building :(

I'd rather see a park / square here with a small 1-2 story restaurant built along the south side to frame the site. A tower ruins the view of the flatiron building :(

I completely agree. It is hard to imagine any tall buidling that wouldn't look ridiculous squeezed up next to the point in the flatiron building.

the rejected design

5-7espy.jpg

This is returning to Design Review Panel on 24 September. See:

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/design_review/drp_agenda_sept09.pdf

3:25pm Project 4: St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Pilot Area
5 - 7 The Esplanade
Rezoning and OPA - 2nd DRP Review (first review held April 2009)
Presentations
John Andreevski, Community Planning; Myron Boyko, Urban Design
Gianni Ria, Page + Steele / IBI Group Architects

According to what I heard at the Design Review forum at City Hall last night, of the 46 projects brought before the panel for a first review, 58% were sent back to be refined and 42% were sent back for a redesign. Of those projects that returned for a second review, 71% gained support and 29% did not. Quadrangle's building at 510-530 King East, for instance, was rejected by a 0-11 vote at the first review and supported at the second review. The TTC's Kipling Station design has been turned down twice, and returns in a few months.

Posted on the L-Tower thread:

Originally Posted by marcus_a_j
From NRU
October 23 2009

Quote:
Sony Centre tower gets its parking

In a decision issued October 14, board member John Aker approved a settlement among the City of Toronto, Metrolinx and Castlepoint Realty Partners Limited with regard to the latter’s appeal for site plan approval in relation to the development of 5 and 7 The Esplanade, southeast of Front and Yonge streets.

The site is proposed to be developed with six storeys of underground parking with 317 spaces, as an accessory to the much publicized 57-storey residential “L” tower to be developed on the site of the Sony Centre at 1 Front Street East. Planner Robert Glover (Bousfields) provided evidence in support of the settlement. The board approved the settlement and the site plan, authorizing development of the underground parking facility.

(See OMB Case No. MM090011.)

I'm a little bit confused. Does that mean the project on this site is going ahead with the rejected design? Or is there a new design we have not seen yet?
Or will it just be an underground garage with no building at all?

Back