Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Good Morning.

The south side of the metal protection awning is coming down. Sorry didn't get a picture, but noticed it on my walk in to work this morning.

Coming Down
IMG_20141007_154051.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141007_154051.jpg
    IMG_20141007_154051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,178
Good riddance! Although you have to be grateful the awning keeping the wide sidewalks open for years. That's one thing I liked about the podium opening sooner. By opening up the street level to the public, you hardly even notice the construction going up above you.

Isn't there a permanent canopy extending out from the building anyway? That'll should protect you all from the rain. No one need to melt. :)

Got to visit The Shops at Aura for the first time. It reminded me of a very cramped mall I once went to in Mumbai, with small flea-market-like stores. It seems the entire mall consists of (1) people who will claim to be able to fix or unlock your phone, (2) nail salons and spas that can fit entirely in roughly 100sqft of space, (3) cheap knockoff "souvenir", "jewelry", or "clothing" stores (4) a tiny office for a sketchy travel/taxi/real estate agent with the door open, computer unlocked, lights off, and seat empty, or (5) absolutely nothing at all except a banner with the face and phone number of a real estate agent on it. Anyways I hope these units get filled up eventually, because if it did, the place would be quite interesting indeed. A chain store of some sort would be a lot of help. Then again, it's probably gonna fail big time meaning we can only hope they'll probably redo the entire thing considering it's a disaster.

Edit: I forgot to mention...there's no cell service in the underground floors. Why you do this, Aura?

Also when Aura gets lit up (like any day now), the view from Barbara Anne Scott park will be epic. :D And the hoist is coming down, finally.

0blszzW.jpg

gPPMae2.jpg

qofz6hd.jpg

5pzWeEg.jpg

Er0drzB.jpg

zVpeHFE.jpg

EcBejCj.jpg

oieVwaE.jpg

fWozBkU.jpg

nAKVfT4.jpg

NkeKVu6.jpg

Last edited:
Mall aside, I finally had a chance to size up Aura in person last week... It's a fine addition to the city! It looks a bit odd from some angles (as do MANY buildings) and quite splendid from other angles... It was never intended to be more than what it was; never once in the past 5 years did I hear developers promise a retail mecca... A fellow forumer mentioned how it was a compass for he/she when navigating around town; as a person who spent a lot of his 20's semi-lost in TO, they are bang on... I knew exactly where I was at all times in my cider-filled TO evening... Hopefully 1 Bloor (Looking awesome, BTW!) continues to impress as I'm sure it will... Cheers to all... As a former Torontonian you should know that sometimes a step back is needed for perspective; TO has never looked better; at least IMO...

Got to visit The Shops at Aura for the first time. It reminded me of a very cramped mall I once went to in Mumbai, with small flea-market-like stores.

From looking at your pictures of the retail area my first thought also was of a small shopping mall I went to in Mumbai. I wonder if we're thinking of the same place :D

From looking at your pictures of the retail area my first thought also was of a small shopping mall I went to in Mumbai. I wonder if we're thinking of the same place :D

Considering the % of South Asian and Asian population in Toronto, this model will probably only increase in popularity in future developments. Better get used to it!

Back