Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Feb 28, 2020

fullsizeoutput_3681.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3680.jpeg

Mar 4, 2020

fullsizeoutput_367f.jpeg

I really enjoyed looking at the photos from February with people walking carefree. I can’t wait for those days to return. Keep well all.

The top half of this building clad in curtain wall and without balconies is so much nicer than the rest. It's a shame we don't get more curtain wall clad residential buildings, or at the very least, balcony free window wall ones. Balconies are very underutilized most of the time, yet impede the unit's view 100% of the time.

The top half of this building clad in curtain wall and without balconies is so much nicer than the rest. It's a shame we don't get more curtain wall clad residential buildings, or at the very least, balcony free window wall ones. Balconies are very underutilized most of the time, yet impede the unit's view 100% of the time.
I second this, as someone who has lived in high rises both with and without balconies. Balconies seem like a nice thing when you are looking at a place, but I've found in reality you almost never use balconies and buildings look so much nicer without them.

I don't know what peoples opinions are on Aura but I rly like this building or at least the upper half with the light feature.

I second this, as someone who has lived in high rises both with and without balconies. Balconies seem like a nice thing when you are looking at a place, but I've found in reality you almost never use balconies and buildings look so much nicer without them.

I don't know what peoples opinions are on Aura but I rly like this building or at least the upper half with the light feature.
If you want to see what UTers opinion of this building is, read the previous 783 pages. Not to spoil the suspense but it does NOT get high marks!

I’m at my balcony desk right now. View:

image.jpg

(Blanket condemnation of balconies is pretty tedious…)

One of the reasons balconies are popular in Toronto is that windows on condos built in the last 20-25 years can only be opened partially (a crack, really) to let in some air. No sliding windows like those you’ll find in older buildings (apart from Juliet balconies). Anyone knows why? Is there a bylaw to prevent suicides / large objects being thrown outside? Doesn’t seem to make sense because you can do these from the balcony if you are so inclined.

One of the reasons balconies are popular in Toronto is that windows on condos built in the last 20-25 years can only be opened partially (a crack, really) to let in some air. No sliding windows like those you’ll find in older buildings (apart from Juliet balconies). Anyone knows why? Is there a bylaw to prevent suicides / large objects being thrown outside? Doesn’t seem to make sense because you can do these from the balcony if you are so inclined.

Likely a combination of both. When replacing window cranks at my work the superintendants have to be careful not to drop their tools are dropping a screwdriver from a high floor can be deadly.

Also, if you have a sliding window at a high height it could allow people to use it to exit the building. Also not good.

It may be just a precautionary thing to avoid liability. No developer wants to do something that causes them to get sued down the road.

So that tree is conveniently blocking the Aura from that point of view, Mr. 42? : )

I will add, I normally have upwards of 70 plants on my balcony during the summer season.

Currently at about 24 as I haven't found all the right stuff yet!

So far:

Fresh Rosemary - 3 plants
Fresh Curly Parsley - 4 plants
Fresh Sage - 3 plants
Fresh Mint - 1 plant
Cherry Tomatoes - 2 plants
Portuguese Hot Peppers - 5 plants
Verbenia (Flowers) - 3 plants
Red Star Spike - 1 plant
Sweet Potato Vine - 2 plants

Still to come, at least one more vegetable, more tomatoes, salad greens, and more herbs. (like Genovese Basil, Thyme, and Dill ++)

Last edited:
I will add, I normally have upwards of 70 plants on my balcony during the summer season.

Currently at about 24 as I'm haven't found all the right stuff yet!

So far:

Fresh Rosemary - 3 plants
Fresh Curly Parsley - 4 plants
Fresh Sage - 3 plants
Fresh Mint - 1 plant
Cherry Tomatoes - 2 plants
Portuguese Hot Peppers - 5 plants
Verbenia (Flowers) - 3 plants
Red Star Spike - 1 plant
Sweet Potato Vine - 2 plants

Still to come, at least one more vegetable, more tomatoes, salad greens, and more herbs. (like Genovese Basil, Thyme, and Dill ++)
Wow, you must have a large and very verdant balcony! Although I don't have a green thumb, I will not consider living in a condo/ apartment without at least a Juliet balcony or windows that can open more than a crack.

Wow, you must have a large and very verdant balcony! Although I don't have a green thumb, I will not consider living in a condo/ apartment without at least a Juliet balcony or windows that can open more than a crack.

I also squeeze 2 chairs, a small table and sometimes a BBQ out there! It's an intensively used 88sq feet. (22 x 4)

Back