Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

"I'd strangle an infant to live in Manhattan". Strangling people to be in Manhattan is exactly the vibe you get from people in Manhattan so you're half way there already ;) .

I think the best way to influence the architectural future of the city is to actually shape it. Sound crazy? Maybe but is it more crazy than complaining about things outside of our control?

There's a big crack in the drywall of the retail lobby by the escalators on the south wall.

I guess it was bound to happen given that the interior spaces are all plastered over with drywall (it's as if even in a project of this magnitude G&C couldn't comprehend of a more appropriate wall treatment), the shoddy level of workmanship and worst of all for the long-term outlook, the poor detailing throughout the project. If a building's design fails at the level of its detailing, maintenance problems are to be expected.
What does G&C have to do with the choices used in construction? They're the architects, not the developers.

Yes, hence my concerns with 1) the materials they specified be used and 2) the poorly designed details of the building. Just look at how different surfaces/edges/materials/components meet with each other. Detailing is important to the longevity of the building.

A building can be well constructed by the contractors involved but even so, if it has poorly designed details it will have problems across its lifespan.

Yes, hence my concerns with 1) the materials they specified be used and 2) the poorly designed details of the building. Just look at how different surfaces/edges/materials/components meet with each other. Detailing is important to the longevity of the building.

A building can be well constructed by the contractors involved but even so, if it has poorly designed details it will have problems across its lifespan.
The materials used in construction is decided by the developers, not the architect. Blame Canderel.

The materials used in construction is decided by the developers, not the architect. Blame Canderel.

Developers (the client) and architects work together to some degree in the design process, with the developer selecting a budget to work with and specifying things such as number of units, types of units, etc. The architect has to make this happen by creating a design that responds to these requirements, with materials being one part of that. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the developer somehow picks a selection of materials out of thin air and forces the architects to work with it.

The materials are specified by the architect, and it is the architect who seals the drawings and is responsible for their design choices. Everything down to the screws and sealants used by contractors are specified in the architects' drawings. Even if Aura was done on a limited budget for a project of its size (I have no idea what the budget actually was), G&C made all sorts of poor choices within that budget and the interior finishes of the podium are just one example of this. They made those choices, and they sealed the drawings.

Please check your audience before trying to educate. Because while developers do have a say and varying amounts of influence in design decisions, your statement "the materials used in construction is decided by the developers, not the architect" is incorrect and doesn't even make sense.

Last edited:
^I'll take Modern's word on that. All too often ignorance is cloaked in arrogance on this forum.
Not trying to be arrogant. Just from everything I've learned and read, I believe it's the developer to blame for choice of materials. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm not saying I'm right or trying to educate. This is a message board where people have opinions and express them. If I'm wrong I'll accept that.

What you stated was not an opinion, just FYI.

"Maybe I'm wrong."

As someone in the profession, I am telling you that yes, saying that the architect doesn't select the materials is absolutely incorrect. I'm not sure what you think architects do.

Anyways, this is getting off topic.

Modern, what you are saying is mostly true, but the full truth is not attained by deemphasizing parts of the story, or simply leaving parts out all together.

Yes, architects specify materials to fit the budgets set by developers. What you are not speaking to though is that budgets change, sometimes simply at the behest of a developer who wants to spend less, other times to deal with the escalation of prices (which can come about from increased labour costs, material costs, or equipment costs). Projects therefore are often re-specced, with the architects being asked to find savings.

Sometimes features/details are simply dropped, (ones which would not constitute a material change for the purposes of closing on purchase agreements with unit buyers), more often though less expensive materials are substituted for ones which were originally specified - typically ones we would consider more aesthetically pleasing. The most obvious examples of this practice would likely be windows, whether cheaper glass gets used (a building ends up with a green tinge when no rendering ever hinted at that) or whether the glazing system is simply downgraded from curtain wall to window wall. There are countless other places where savings can be found, no need to go into more of them.

So, yes, architects specify materials, but no, they do not always specify what they would prefer to. Without us having sat in on the decision making process for any building, Aura or otherwise, we cannot know for certain what determined the final material mix for any project, so it is impossible for any of us to apportion 'blame'. In the end, developers have to decide what they want to spend, and what they are prepared to have the building look like based on their budget. They might be presented with bad options from less experienced architects, but it is also their choice of which architects to hire.

I think that Urban Toronto readers would rather that all buildings be of the highest standards, but the market requires price points throughout the range of affordability. It's too bad in this case that such a prominent building was not built to higher standards.

I think that Urban Toronto readers would rather that all buildings be of the highest standards, but the market requires price points throughout the range of affordability. It's too bad in this case that such a prominent building was not built to higher standards.

And a good architect can be selective about which materials are affordable enough and well-suited to the project, and have an arsenal of details that they have perfected which they can put to use. Unfortunately, G&C does very poorly in this regard. (For all of the complaints about how firms like aA create boring work, their detailing is always tried-and-true, and it works as a result.)

I never said that developers don't have a part in the say about a design; after all, the architects are working for the developer, and I imagine G&C and Canderel likely have an arrangement where the developer is quite involved, no doubt. But to state that the developer "selects materials" and "not the architect" as khristopher said is downright misleading and simply incorrect.

Anyways, I know not everyone on UT is as interested in aspects of a design like construction detailing as others, but I'd encourage anyone to take a walk around any new project and look at various building joints and assemblies, the way surfaces meet, the way different materials come together along their edges and in corners, which wall treatments are used, if the parts fit nicely together or if a ton of caulking was needed to complete the job, how building joints are concealed, etc. etc. It's remarkable the difference between a project like Aura vs. a project like One Bloor or even a less expensive project like SPIRE or The Hudson. Part of this is just aesthetic and craft, but a big part of it is an indicator to how well-designed the building assemblies are and how they will age in the long term.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 1,379

Back