Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

…which goes to show how design illiterate the average passerby is. 42

Tad harsh don't you think 42?

Considering some of the weird choices that have gone on in recent years, some might think it's a new thing, "hoarding chic". We've already had "bunker chic", so it's not a huge stretch...

I wonder how many casual passers-by think that the steel canopy over the podium is a permanent design feature.
that steel canopy looks like a house from the slums of my country. the houses in slums have roofs made up of steel sheets.

^^ it's a hyperbole when you say that the steel canopy looks like this

Kibera.jpg

Attachments

• Kibera.jpg
    Kibera.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 754
The air is not circulated between units. The air being blown into your unit, comes from your unit only. Otherwise, you would have no control over your suite's temperature.

Correct. In a typical fan-coil system, the air is circulated within the unit, with the heat/cool pipes running throughout the building.

However there will likely be fresh air vents on every floor, usually located in the elevators lobbies, that pull air throughout the building. This fresh air can enter your suite from under your door due to the pressure difference. I would hope this wouldn't circulate construction dust from other floors, but maybe someone who knows more about HVAC than me could answer that.

…which goes to show how design illiterate the average passerby is.

And which goes to show why 99% of what is said on this board is irrelevant and a complete waste of time. Does anyone on here actually work in the industry or is it simply a bunch of opinionated fanboys? I often get the impression mostly from comments that concern the cost of things that the people on here do not work and have no concept of not buying what you cannot afford.

Correct. In a typical fan-coil system, the air is circulated within the unit, with the heat/cool pipes running throughout the building.

However there will likely be fresh air vents on every floor, usually located in the elevators lobbies, that pull air throughout the building. This fresh air can enter your suite from under your door due to the pressure difference. I would hope this wouldn't circulate construction dust from other floors, but maybe someone who knows more about HVAC than me could answer that.

I lived, and still live, on a lower floor in CP1 while construction was going on higher floors above. A few months later construction started on
'Luminiere' across the street. I rarely felt dust. However, when I used to wet-mop engineered wood floors, mop head used to be so filty that I preferred to throw it rather wash and reuse it. I had to mop the floors at least 2, and at times 3 times weekly.

wmedia - agree with your comments regarding Fan Coil systems and the Make Up Air. The Make Up Air intakes are usually on the roof of a building, however some of the very tall buildings have intermediary mechanical floors with the associated air intakes and grills in the side wall of the mechanical floor (unless there is a convenient setback that allows the intermediary mechanical floor air intakes to be roof mounted). Make Up Air is not recirculated from intakes within the building envelope itself.

The other common heating / cooling option for condominium units is a heat pump system. Again, similar to the fan coil based system, the air is recirculated through the heat pump on a totally self contained basis within each unit. The heat pumps are generally connected to a centralized water based system which is used to supply or remove the energy being pumped either into or from a unit. No air moves between the units, or between the units and the central mechanical systems.

So they are pouring the mechanical penthouse this week or rather finishing the pour. Here's a picture from up to on Monday when I was there.

Let me tell you - going up there was the best Superbowl hangover cure ever.

kpXEEIW.jpg

The air is not circulated between units. The air being blown into your unit, comes from your unit only. Otherwise, you would have no control over your suite's temperature.

Only the cooling/heating is circulated between units, through pipes usually filled with water. A fan brings air in from your intake (Not anyone elses), blows it against the pipes, and blows it back out.

The air in the hallways is under positive pressure and gets forced into suites. The source for the make-up air system is the great outdoors.

So they are pouring the mechanical penthouse this week or rather finishing the pour. Here's a picture from up to on Monday when I was there.

this is incredible. wow! and since the floor isn't poured yet, it looks as if you're standing on a mountain peak. almost quite literally with the piles of snow.

Aura is basically a taller version of a 1970's slab apartment tower: function over aesthetics. It is not "world class."

Some of us seem to be on a hyperbole binge lately, so I'd like to say that comparing Aura to a 1970's slab tower is an insult to the aesthetics of every 1970's slab tower ever built.

Back