Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I feel like the people that think this is a good looking building are kind of relying on the big is beautiful argument to support their cause.

Question, if this building were only 35 stories but looked like this would you still argue it's good looking? Doubt it.

It looks like it belongs in Mississauga.

Actually that's funny, because Mississauga is now building prettier buildings than Toronto with Absolute World.

So I guess Toronto wishes it had buildings as nice as Mississauga.

Apart from Absolute World which other "prettier buildings" is Mississauga building compared to Toronto?

edit: Adjei beat me to it

Last edited:
The hate on this forum is unreal. So negative

So... we're supposed to just love EVERYTHING? To be critical of something is HATE? All the threads should jsut be "Oh I love it!" "No, I love it more!" "Screw you, I love it the MOST!"

Come on, being critical of an ugly buidling isn't HATE.

Not sure. Don't live there. Any Mississauga residents care to chime in?

Used to live in Mississauga, long ago. There's... ummm... always Mississauga City Hall... ?

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 10.32.35 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 10.32.35 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 10.32.35 AM.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 711
The addresses for Aura Condos are 386 & 388 Yonge. 444 Yonge is actually The Carlu. I'm thinking they might want to put illuminated signs on the south/east corner of that building instead. Though, beats me why they would try to add big screens to the facade of a distinguished building like the Carlu. It doesn't seem to fit in with the character of the building.

I think you're right that the signs they're talking about are meant for College Park, but the application isn't for video screens, it's for a standard illuminated wall sign.

I'd be disappointed if they did end up with just static signs in that notched corner. I know it's a little north of where the planners wanted all of the media towers to be, but video screens at that location don't seem unreasonable.

So... we're supposed to just love EVERYTHING? To be critical of something is HATE? All the threads should jsut be "Oh I love it!" "No, I love it more!" "Screw you, I love it the MOST!"

Come on, being critical of an ugly buidling isn't HATE.

I think what gets to a lot of people, myself included, is the constant barrage of criticism of a given project. Posting a single negative post is fine but after that why not move on? If you are hoping the development will improve as things progress then maybe you should hold back your opinion until it is finished. Yes everyone it entitled to their own opinion but to repeatedly visit a thread and constantly contribute criticism is a waste of everyone's time including the person doing the criticism. I don't enjoy every television show that my friends like but that doesn't mean I need to sit there with them watching and commenting "that's dumb, that would never happen in real life...etc.". What I don't like I avoid.

I come here for images and real information. I couldn't give a damn what anyone thinks and I'm not sure what is accomplished with the criticisms. I think for the most part it is done to elevate the person by somehow making them above liking what others enjoy.

What do these people do to actually contribute to what gets built and what doesn't. Do you go to committee meetings? Do you contact your local councilor? Do you contact the developer?

Do I like this development? Doesn't matter.

Here is an idea. Buy the property yourself and do your own development.

Used to live in Mississauga, long ago. There's... ummm... always Mississauga City Hall... ?

View attachment 16754

At least the Mississauga City Hall doesn't have varying window widths and spandrel everywhere- the problem with Aura is the execution, not so much the design, and this thing is going to be a part of our city for a very long time. The argument that if you hate something, you should try to do better is asinine. You might as well not complain about anything then.

I think what gets to a lot of people, myself included, is the constant barrage of criticism of a given project. Posting a single negative post is fine but after that why not move on? If you are hoping the development will improve as things progress then maybe you should hold back your opinion until it is finished. Yes everyone it entitled to their own opinion but to repeatedly visit a thread and constantly contribute criticism is a waste of everyone's time including the person doing the criticism. I don't enjoy every television show that my friends like but that doesn't mean I need to sit there with them watching and commenting "that's dumb, that would never happen in real life...etc.". What I don't like I avoid.

I come here for images and real information. I couldn't give a damn what anyone thinks and I'm not sure what is accomplished with the criticisms. I think for the most part it is done to elevate the person by somehow making them above liking what others enjoy.

What do these people do to actually contribute to what gets built and what doesn't. Do you go to committee meetings? Do you contact your local councilor? Do you contact the developer?

Do I like this development? Doesn't matter.

Amen

Everyone has the right to complain. And complain alot. Even if it becomes long in the tooth.

Just remember this, that it wasn't long ago, that pretty much all condo developments in Toronto used window wall cladding. And now we have many projects going up that incorporate curtainwall glass, including the Aura development. I think this in addition to the sheer size of the project is telling of the current state of design and development in Toronto, but foretells what may be on the horizon for new real estate developments in the city. The critiques here will likely make their way to the developers and be incorporated into future projects to make them more appealing to the masses.

So threads on UrbanToronto shouldn't be a place for architectural discussion and critique? Whether I like a project or not, I am interested in following the discussion on it. I don't agree at all that people who take issue with a project's design should post once and then move on. I wouldn't expect that from the fans of a project, and I don't expect it from a project's detractors either.

People need to learn not to take it personally when a building they like is being critiqued. In the real world, architects take plenty of criticism for every decision they make most of the time, so I'm sure fans of a building can handle the same critiques.

I DO, however, feel that a constructive criticism/ well-done critique is very different from simply attacking and provoking. Thedeepend, etc., likes to be provocative and troll this thread. Myself and others have continued to follow it because the construction/development process intrigues us, though we do feel that architecturally, the project is unappealing.

Ultimately, this thread seems destined to become a very uninteresting place where people are only allowed to "ooh" and "aah". If you want that, go to flickr.com and look through pictures. If you want solid discussion about the pros and cons of a project and its execution, hang out here at UT.

Last edited:
I come here for images and real information. I couldn't give a damn what anyone thinks.

Wow. Are you in the wrong place then.

You're on a discussion forum but you hate discussion and "Don't give a damn what anyone thinks"?

Go to the developers website then. Or as Spire says...

If you want that, go to flickr.com and look through pictures.

And this comment is truly silly...

Back