Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

6a35d27e-dd72-4b66-b1e0-2f1b7c2d312f_zps65d27649.jpg

I completely agree!

Right now Aura's basement feels more like a labyrinth of entrepreneurial bleakness than a legitimate shopping centre.

True. Aura's basement feels like exactly that; a basement. I think that isolated food court will be a colossal failure.

Remember what we said about the foodcourt at the AMC, big failure, it will never work. It's half empty or worst.

Now, you find it as hard to get a proper seat there as at the Eaton Centre foodcourt.

Remember what we said about the foodcourt at the AMC, big failure, it will never work. It's half empty or worst.

Now, you find it as hard to get a proper seat there as at the Eaton Centre foodcourt.

You're exaggerating there, Cal.

Metropolis' food court is at most, moderately busy on weekdays. Mainly because it caters as a space for Ryerson students who hang out there or have class upstairs. AMC and other retail also helps bring in pedestrian circulation to the building. But even then, I wouldn't exactly describe that food court as thriving. Without students around, the place is a dead zone on weekends. Some of those fast food joints don't even bother opening because there's so little business. Urban Eatery's prominence has greatly overshadowed the competition around out. The large format restaurants do well though, as I would expect of the ones opening at Aura.

The situation is also different at Aura's basement. Currently there is nothing to draw attention there. College Park already has a food court, and most people who frequent there will not be going out of their way to reach Aura. Apart from the hassle of navigating those barrier filled hallways, it is unlikely to offer any products/services that are differentiated right now. As I said earlier until connection is improved and established with the south, all forms of retail here will struggle.

Last edited:

Some people were predicting gloom and doom for that food court, not everyone. Being half way up to a major cinema complex which is also used by Ryerson, and with thousands of Ryerson students in the area it had a good chance of success. The stalls in the basement at Aura, not so much. At least not until (or if) it's connected to PATH along with well marked access points to and from College Park.

What about the basement of AMC, no one can argue that isn't a failure ! Very few stores manages to survive for the long, the only exception being Extereme fitness and shopppers.

So why would the basement of Aura do much better ?

Back