Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

i think they were referring to the mall part not the exterior. Lets mind our wording to sound like adults on here please. Childish wording like crap and bone-rage... what ever that means. to describe a building doesn't make anyone sounds like they are making a point. simple descriptions for a dislike of something and saying the words " i really dislike this because i feel it makes this look a certain way (using of course your own wording that doesn't sound like a kid in a playground)

Here's a tip for you, Mom. If you don't like what I have to say or how I express it, ignore it. What makes you think you are entitled to moderate or censor what people write on here? Boner-age is a perfectly acceptable word.

He's not asking mods to ban you for saying bone rage, but rather suggesting you express your dislike for this project with reasoning and giving examples why rather than just calling it names. A more constructive forum is better for everyone. (Both figuratively and literally) you are free to continue to calling it names, but giving more constructive critism is probably preferred by most members on this board as they will be able to get a good idea of why you dislike this building.

Eg. "I hate this building because the store entries have no detailing, and are all exactly the same. What's up with the store doors in a mall as well?"

Rather than:

" I hate this building! It is a major bone rage and I scream in agony whenever I see it!!!"

Yes it is horrible inside. I sometimes scoff at the desires here for everything to be the best of the best, a city designed only for the upscale with the time to be seen lounging on patios, the call always for iconic design and fancy materials, marble marble everywhere. So I thought this building would be okay, it was introducing a couple of stores to the street and providing places for more people to live downtown, bringing life to the intersection, replacing what had been a parking lot. I'm not as enthralled as some by the race to touch the sky, but if the planning priorities and economics of our city call for taller and taller buildings, so be it. But last night I walked into BB&B and was immediately surprised that with all those windows lining the space there were no windows to see out - all the display and product has been pushed up against. I guess stores are like that, usually warehouses where you can't see outside, but it had never struck me as so harsh before. Like an Ikea there only seemed to be one route through, a maze taking you from the entrance to the cashiers back near where you began, behind every turn an employee lurking to thank you for coming. And that disgusting smell in there, peeewww.

And then that rabbit warren downstairs, every tiny tiny space a wall of glass, a hastily constructed slab of drywall, some black mesh wire ceiling, and an electrical box. What makes it really depressing are the notices of space for rent left taped to glass, most of them in the handwritten scrawl of a plea for rescue. Just opened and it already feels desperate.

Well, it seem like for once, practically all of Urban Toronto is finally in agreement, that the inside of this building really does suck! The developers of this disappointment should be congratulated for uniting us all into one critical mass. Are you proud of yourselves, Canderel? I think the interiors of this building rival Metropolis, and that's inexcusable.

Last edited:
I think there is an over supply of retail space downstairs in the Aura. It will never be all rented, unless it goes for cheap.

As for the quality of the place I think it reflects that part of Yonge St., which is really not high-end.

Caltrane is an optimist

I really hope the crappiness of the downstairs mall, pushes down rents and a side benefit would be some new and creative retail stores take hold here.

If the rents are cheap enough, I would even take a stab at some unique retail offering.. I hope there are enough people out there to bring that basement to life.

gotta agree. These are really small units that aren't fit for the likes of a clothing store. I expect low rent units that allow for very unique shops catering to small niches. the mall will probably start to feel less boring once there are actual stores in it as well.

The entry is not very inviting, bland, and uninteresting. I could see them improving it if for no other reason than they will have trouble getting retail space leased.

I like the overall design of Aura. I find the design of the building unique and I like the fact that the building also has some bulk to it. I'm not a big fan of tall buildings that are too slim. To be they look they lack proportion and from a distance look more like sticks poking up into the sky that real buildings.

What I do not like about Aura is the damn blue glass. 15 years ago it would have been more novel but today it looks worn out and tired. Toronto is becoming a ghetto of blue glass buildings and of course the entire Waterfront area of the last 10 years exmplifies that. Can't anybody build anything in Toronto that isn't blue glass? Is it really asking too much to have a little variety?

Great skylines are not just who has the tallest buildings but also the diversity of style, archeticture, building material, height, and location. When it comes to skylines and buildings that enhance a city variety really is the spice of life. The different construction materials and colours of the building is what helps make the downtown financial district and Bloor/Yorkville into interesting skyline areas and improve the pedestrian experience {Bloor/Yorkville} and conversely what make Waterfron/CityPlace look like a sterile, uninteresting glass wall.

Isn't one of the things people dislike about suburbia the cookie-cutter housing and if so why is Toronto trying to replicate that in it's highrises?

I don't mean to get off topic but my point was no matter how interesting the design of Aura, the reality is that in 20 years it will be nothing more than viewed as another blue glass structure amongst the hundreds of others.

I think blue is probably the safest colour to use. I'm not sure how red, orange, yellow, bronze, etc will look after a decade or so. The few examples in Toronto that use them still look good, but maybe that's thanks to their architecture.

heat-reflective-glass.jpg

The entry is not very inviting, bland, and uninteresting. I could see them improving it if for no other reason than they will have trouble getting retail space leased.

But that's the beauty of it: the small units are all condos whose owners will have to pay for maintenance whether the space is leased or not. The larger spaces are big retailers and restaurants that will do fine regardless given the central location (like how Milestones, Jack Astor's and Futureshop have done well at 10 Dundas East). It's simply not Canderel's problem -- well, unless they try and build a similar project with retail condos and people come see this one.

I also wonder how much of what's being forced off of Yonge due to the rising costs of gentrification will make its way down here? Will we see little sex shops and head shops down here?

Saw it for myself today, ugly ugly ugly!!!!!!! It's quite deep in the ground, and covered in the most depressing looking beige tile and walls I've ever seen (I'm foolishly praying that its just primer on the walls, and that they are going to pick a better colour, and maybe some marble accents?) Perhaps once the empty units are occupied, and they add some accent furniture, lighting and a new paint job it might look ok, but doubtful. The entire floor is vacant, including the tiny food court. The stores are so small I can't see any brand name establishments there. My bedroom is literally bigger then most of the units. All in all it's very disappointing! The Bed Bath and Beyond is well stocked, but those god awful fluorescent lights and the painted white ceiling cheapen it to look like a Walmart. The escalators leading to the third floor was blocked, anyone know what will be up there?

I suppose Marshall's will be on the third floor.

Although it's all a relentless beige-o-rama, the finishes are better quality than Metropolis or whatever that grey sheet-metal monstrosity at Yonge and Dundas calls itself these days. Obviously that's not saying much. The Bed, Bath & Beyond is actually much larger and better looking than the ones I've been to in the U.S. The ceiling is ugly, of course, but that's how they do it elsewhere as well. It's a nice place to shop but I don't think it belongs there at all.

Indeed, the underground mini-mall is a mystery to me. It's as if Canderel tried to see just how gullible investors can get. Everything is very small... Hopefully nobody put their life savings into one of those units. I see it remaining empty for the foreseeable future. The access to College Park is not very good either.

I suppose Marshall's will be on the third floor.

Although it's all a relentless beige-o-rama, the finishes are better quality than Metropolis or whatever that grey sheet-metal monstrosity at Yonge and Dundas calls itself these days. Obviously that's not saying much. The Bed, Bath & Beyond is actually much larger and better looking than the ones I've been to in the U.S. The ceiling is ugly, of course, but that's how they do it elsewhere as well. It's a nice place to shop but I don't think it belongs there at all.

Indeed, the underground mini-mall is a mystery to me. It's as if Canderel tried to see just how gullible investors can get. Everything is very small... Hopefully nobody put their life savings into one of those units. I see it remaining empty for the foreseeable future. The access to College Park is not very good either.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, agreed, the access to Collage Park is a kind of awkward too. The elevator has a window looking into an unfinished block wall, the stairs are ok, but why two sets of double doors? Just thought there'd be more flow through.

Caltrane is an optimist

I really hope the crappiness of the downstairs mall, pushes down rents and a side benefit would be some new and creative retail stores take hold here.

If the rents are cheap enough, I would even take a stab at some unique retail offering.. I hope there are enough people out there to bring that basement to life.

Please go to the website www.retailataura.com for the promotional video of the retail area. At least in this video, retail space looks very glamorous. When you add a babe or two, it becomes even more glamorous. At the end of this promotional video, there is a page stating retail stores available starting at $ 790,000. It seems that most of the units were purchased by investors. At starting price of $ 790,000, they can not afford to rent space cheap. I have a distinct feeling that investors are in for a 'hair cut'.

Last edited:
At $20 a square foot per month in rent, (seems reasonable since a simple google search reveals a unit going for $40 a square foot at Yonge/college) for 350 square feet, (smallest units here) you get 7,000 a month. That pays off your $790,000 purchase price in 9 years, assuming no interest. Pretty sound economics there.

Back