Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

This seems like quite a jump in floor height. More than just one foot. Does anyone remember the floor which it changes and from how high to how much higher? If you look closely, the floor heights vary from floor to floor from here up. It's like they go: 8 feet, 10 feet, 9 feet, 9 feet and then 10 for the last few.... Weird.
That's probably going to end up looking hideous, like the Trump Hotel. A change in floor height not accompanied by a significant change in massing is a sloppy mistake, imo.

That's probably going to end up looking hideous, like the Trump Hotel. A change in floor height not accompanied by a significant change in massing is a sloppy mistake, imo.

The visual effect created by a change in floor heights can be mitigated with the right cladding. For example, the floor heights on the Ritz increase as the tower rises, but no one ever seem to notice (or mind).

That's probably a transfer floor - where the structural concrete beams are thicker to transfer / shift the load from support columns / walls above into support columns / walls below. Because of the thicker beams, the ceiling height needs to be higher to allow proper clearance.
If so, the floorplans would reflect the change (different floorplans above this floor than below).

Alternatively, it could be a mechanical floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand either of those explanations, but look closer: I was more interested in the change back and forth from floor height to floor height. (I don't know the exact heights, I have just put in arbitrary numbers but the relative sizes are apparent.) It just seems odd to me. :confused:

rIi2X.jpg

Last edited:
Good eye Traynor, now that you point it out I can't not see it. The Trump variations in heights were more dramatic than this, but what your pointing out does make me a little uneasy. Hopefully it will all turn out fine in the end.

The varying heights have left me confused as well… It looks like the 27th, 30th and 31st levels are 10 feet high, while the 28th, 29th 32nd are 9 feet.

From my understanding, levels 5-26 were meant to be 8 feet, 27-73 to be 9 feet, 74-77 to be 10 feet and the 78th floor PH to be 12 foot.

The varying heights have left me confused as well… It looks like the 27th, 30th and 31st levels are 10 feet high, while the 28th, 29th 32nd are 9 feet.

From my understanding, levels 5-26 were meant to be 8 feet, 27-73 to be 9 feet, 74-77 to be 10 feet and the 78th floor PH to be 12 foot.

Does anyone have a contact at Canderel? A purchaser in the thread perhaps? It would be interesting to conclude this mystery.

The visual effect created by a change in floor heights can be mitigated with the right cladding. For example, the floor heights on the Ritz increase as the tower rises, but no one ever seem to notice (or mind).

That's true. As long as it reads as a separate part of the building, it's fine, but the strong grid pattern of the cladding here isn't going to work in Aura's favour.

if you have ever seen the model of aura it is acurate for its final outcome. its not going to be that noticeable over all. have a look in the sales centre. it clearly is not going to be that noticeable when all is completed. relax. its only noticable if your really looking for flaws.

I never meant it as an aesthetic thing... On the whole, glancing at Trump you really don't notice the varying heights (And this will be much less perceptible). I was more interested in the "WHY".

im sorry but this thing is really looking so good. cant wait to see the curved section. and with its glass.

yup, if only we could get the soviet commie block that is the delta chelsea replaced or disappeared the view would be great. That building is a TRAGEDY.

Back