Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Indisputable, irrefutable, indubitable, incorrigible evidence that this building on the n/e corner needs to be bulldozed into unholy oblivion. And soon.

It is a mess but it was a decent looking building when it was the Odeon Coronet (previously, The Savoy until it was renamed in the early 1960's). It had a darker beige brick to it with a great marquee and huge, bright green "Coronet" neon signs facing both Yonge and Gerrard Sts. It was a good cinema inside too until it went independent and was run into the ground in the early 80's.

Towards the end, 1979 -
Coronet.jpg

As I posted once before, the Five Stages Of Architectural Mania:

1) OMG - that rendering looks fantastic. I can't wait to see this built. This will really help that area. Can they make it taller?
2) This one has been taking way too long. Wait - is that activity on site? No? Damn. This one is really taking too long. Why is it taking so long?
3) Hey! - the concrete is above ground level now it's looking good. It should really take off now. Can't wait to see this one finished.
4) Oh f*&ck - Is that the cladding? It doesn't look anything like the rendering. This is horrible! I can't believe this. F*&king Toronto. What the f*&k are they thinking? I never want to see this building again. (furious ultimatums about proper taste in cladding fly thick and fast, darkening the site).
5) (sigh) Well, altogether, I guess it looks alright. Could have been a lot better, though.
Hey, have you seen this new proposal?

I think with Aura we're currently on stage four.

Good summary of most projects in Toronto. You could add several other stages to that list:

1.5) The City just chopped 10 floors from the design? $%&#@ city planning department!
2.5) I heard from my brother's friend's uncle that this project will be capped at ground level. I'm not surprised, since the Toronto real estate market is about to implode. Really. I mean it this time.
4.5) Oh boy, a 45-floor building was just announced immediately south of this one. Sucks to have bought a unit looking south, there goes their view.

Absolutely priceless. You two just summed up this entire forum lol

@ Canadian National:

There are lots of cases where the majority of people don't hate the cladding, or the cladding isn't so bad. This is a rare case where the window wall just looks so painfully cheap I don't think we've seen something this bad on a large scale since the cheap silver window frames of the WaterClub condos on Queen's Quay. I'm trying to think of a recent 'fail' on this scale. So I'd say people won't be leaving Stage 4 on your list for Aura.

Anyways, I'm not saying the whole project is ruined for me-- but objectively I can say, this is very cheap-looking for a window wall system. The curtainwall sections look nice though.

Canadian National's sentiments in a sentence:

This beautiful vision is taking way too long to get to street level where its ugly cladding looks alright, but could have been better - even though I've forgotten about the whole thing already.

Good summary of most projects in Toronto. You could add several other stages to that list:

1.5) The City just chopped 10 floors from the design? $%&#@ city planning department!
2.5) I heard from my brother's friend's uncle that this project will be capped at ground level. I'm not surprised, since the Toronto real estate market is about to implode. Really. I mean it this time.
4.5) Oh boy, a 45-floor building was just announced immediately south of this one. Sucks to have bought a unit looking south, there goes their view.

add on to 5) ....Could have been a lot better, though. I guess that's what we get in Rob Ford's Toronto

Back