Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Yeah, I really hope they put it a lot of effort in revitalizing the interior park. Has potential to be a really popular public space, being located in a very central downtown and surrounded by such high density. Along with better landscaping and park furniture/amenities, restoration of the fountain is a must. We could always use more great fountains downtown.

More great fountains downtown? Toronto doesn't have any great fountains anywhere. Sure, we have a few decent fountains but none of them are even close to great. The general public could probably not identify a single fountain, in this city. Certainly none of our fountains are tourist attractions or a symbol of the city. I wish we had one great fountain. (at least just one)

Me too! :(

Just one great one would be amazing. The funny part is I swear every medium-large NA city has at least one medium-great fountain. BTW, for comparison, I'd say our best fountain falls to the 'crap' rating level :)

Just remembered one, the one outside the skydome, the fish one (that still isn't working is it ?), is decent in my books. I used to love it as a kid. Probably the best one in Toronto.

Last edited:
I think the most important thing that should be added to a revitalized College Park is clear, well-lit pedestrian thoroughfares - particularly one extending Hayter Street to Yonge. As it stands right now, the park is full of dark, dingy corners with poor visibility. Creating wide pedestrian pathways with clear sight lines from one end of the park to the other would help open the park up to the rest of the neighbourhood and create more foot traffic. As much as I love trees, I think a lot of the trees in this park do more harm than good. I'd also be quite happy to see that rusting sculpture removed from the northeast corner (you know, the leaning metal structure with the lights that never come on).

More great fountains downtown? Toronto doesn't have any great fountains anywhere. Sure, we have a few decent fountains but none of them are even close to great. The general public could probably not identify a single fountain, in this city. Certainly none of our fountains are tourist attractions or a symbol of the city. I wish we had one great fountain. (at least just one)

I dunno, I think most Torontonians (at least the ones living, say, south of Bloor or St. Clair) would be familiar with the fountain in Berczy Park (although they probably wouldn't know the name of the park).

The Yonge Street Shuffle

u8kwa.jpg

Aura towering over Dundas Square

.... Well at least the crane is

r3jei.jpg

70 Floors to go!!!!

Last edited:
I dunno, I think most Torontonians (at least the ones living, say, south of Bloor or St. Clair) would be familiar with the fountain in Berczy Park (although they probably wouldn't know the name of the park).

But they couldn't name the fountain. None of our fountains rise above the ordinary or represent the city, like say, Buckingham Fountain, in Chicago. (or the many famous fountains in Paris, New York, Rome) Hell, even Montreal beats us when it comes to beautiful fountains. We need a few really great fountains and a fountain that converts into a skating rink in winter, just doesn't cut it. You can't have it both ways.

It's better than great news! This, I strongly suspect, is the work of Councillor Wong-Tam who demands big section 37 funds when a developer asks for additional height/floors. I might have said this already but I'll say it again if I have, I'm as excited about the park improvements than I am about the Aura project. I really hope they put some real thought into the park design and make better use of the space available there.

Actually, no: I had written to former Councillor Rae about the sad state of this urban space some years back, at which point he informed me about the upcoming development and the money going towards the park.

But they couldn't name the fountain. None of our fountains rise above the ordinary or represent the city, like say, Buckingham Fountain, in Chicago. (or the many famous fountains in Paris, New York, Rome) Hell, even Montreal beats us when it comes to beautiful fountains. We need a few really great fountains and a fountain that converts into a skating rink in winter, just doesn't cut it. You can't have it both ways.

lol are you serious, do you want to build the worlds biggest fountain in the portlands and have a monorail going around it or something?

lol are you serious, do you want to build the worlds biggest fountain in the portlands and have a monorail going around it or something?

I doubt a monorail, but they could have planned a half decent fountain for the Pan Am Village, River City, or even for BayFront with a nice Roundabout...but i guess thats too much to ask for a North American city.

I doubt a monorail, but they could have planned a half decent fountain for the Pan Am Village, River City, or even for BayFront with a nice Roundabout...but i guess thats too much to ask for a North American city.

I completely agree. Toronto is desperately in need of a good fountain or two. They've actually made quite a cool, very modern one down at Queens Quay East in the new development there. Worth taking a look, specially in the night when it's lit.

Back