Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Re: tennis courts!

GetImage.jpg

When in bloom (with an active, albiet loud fountain), the park is actually pretty green. The grass lot (not pictured) along Gerrard between the future parking lot and the Liberties complex is a great place for dogs to do their business.

Once the ROCP1 & 2 mess is cleaned up the park will be much more attractive. However, improvements should definately be made to the Yonge access walkway that borders the parking lot (future ROCP3). Section 37 will no doubt address this.

The park does need to be spruced up, and is a much needed oasis. Hopefully the developers will see its value and kick in something during phase three.

Mike in TO: any idea where that proposal stands now? Did it go to the OMB?

Sorry Interchange no idea... I may be able to get some info next week.

ROCP

In the foyer of ROCP (north tower) there is a rendering of Aqua(?) the 71 story proposal from Canderell. Its a great looking building which is going to the OMB in May.
I don't know if the rendering has been posted here.

I can't wait to see this one justified on the basis of "good planning".

AoD

I posted this in another thread, but this seems to be home to the official RoCP discussion (is there a 'UT' thread buried around somewhere?)

Application update:

Minor revisions have been made to the site plan application and it will be appealed to the OMB. The OP Amendment and zbl Amendment applications have been appealed OMB. A pre-hearing was heard in February and continues on May 29. A working group has been formed on the application with the first date scheduled for March 28. The full OMB hearing isn't until August and is scheduled to last for about 4 weeks.

Section 37 discussions:

Section 37 contributions are being examined and may include maintenance to College Park and the skating rink, public transit improvements to the College subway station and streetscape improvements on either Bay or directly adjacent to the site.

Re: RoCP 3 Update

Interchange,

Application update:

Minor revisions have been made to the site plan application and it will be appealed to the OMB. The OP Amendment and zbl Amendment applications have been appealed OMB. A pre-hearing was heard in February and continues on May 29. A working group has been formed on the application with the first date scheduled for March 28. The full OMB hearing isn't until August and is scheduled to last for about 4 weeks.

Other info related to the park:

Section 37 contributions are being examined and may include maintenance to College Park and the skating rink, public transit improvements to the College subway station amd streetscape improvements on either Bay or directly adjacent to the site.

I'll stand by that - ok "good looking" then. What's wrong with it? I fear our standards are alwayts one step ahead of what's happening. That's good if it keeps is striving, but negative if those trying to deliver feel 90% of their efforts are criticized.

I like the height and the base is pretty sharp. The tower itself looks a bit motley I suppose, as if several different buildings have been stuck together. Perhaps if there were more unity among the facades it would come off better. I'd like to see it from other angles. Actually, judging from the rendering so far I prefer it over ROCP un et deux.

It's not a terrible looking proposal, but it also lacks a certain something, and certainly stops short of being 'great'. Graziani + Corazza have produced a lot of awkward crap in the GTA (Newport Beach on Etobicoke's waterfront is an example), and have improved somewhat recently (Waterview, also on the Etobicoke weaterfront, manages a bit of personality without resorting to Newport's ridiculous turrets), but they still haven't produced anything that wows design-wise, and I admit I'm not hopeful that they ever will. This proposal has size going for it to create wow-factor, but I don't see the surfaces or relation of volumes and angles creating any real delight and engagement. It's big, but it's forgetable, and I hope the OMB tells them to forget it.

I like the way it meets the street-its a continuous band which wraps around the corner from Yonge to Gerrard- not bad. However, I have to agree with Bogtrotter, it seems a little mish-mash, almost as though the designer wasn't sure if it was to be an office tower or residential and ultimately decided it was going to be a bit of both. No harm in that, but could have been executed better, more seamlessly I suppose.

p5

Re: RoCP 3 Update

Thanks Mike, I look forward to hearing how this plays out. As you can tell from other threads, I am hoping for a better building and park from this development than that current proposal indicates we'll get.

Back